• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Seoul

We occassionally go for lunch to this little place where the chef/owner is Korean.  His specialty is Korean fried chicken (delicious) but he also has several fire chicken dishes.  Thanks to you,  I now have an inkling of what that is.

• Like 2

Wowzers!  Absolutely brilliant.  So many items I have no clue as to what they are.  I wish we had 'internet-smell" capabilities.  How long did you spend at the market?

Thank you for sharing your adventures, much appreciated.

• Like 3

Ha! I sampled the tiny clams done that way at local Korean market that puts out lot of samples on the weekend. I bought  a container because they were so so good. FIrst time I've ever had anything close to food poisoning,,,,but...they are so good that I sample them every weekend if they are on offer- no issues but then I've not consumed a whole tub again.

• Like 4

A few more eats; hotteok crispy brown sugar and walnut pancakes (with lipstick!), some beautifully fatty BBQ, more fried chicken doused in butter powder and curry powder, peach soju, black raspberry wine and a delicious Korean-Chinese meal of jjangmyeon black bean noodles, ma po tofu, and shredded pork and leeks with steamed buns.

IMG_9914.JPG

IMG_9915.JPG

IMG_9967.JPG

IMG_9964.JPG

IMG_9900.JPG

IMG_9950.JPG

IMG_9947.JPG

IMG_9949.JPG

IMG_9948.JPG

• Like 9

Beautiful looking food.  Now here comes what to some people might be a dumb question and I ask because I have never heard of it:  Is butter powder what I think it is, that is, butter with all the liquid removed?  

No filing, they're plain and just for eating/mopping up juices with.

On the home stretch now, folks! I'm flying back to Sydney tomorrow afternoon but a time for a few more good eats between now and then..

Today; a wee snack of kkultarae, Korean dragon beard's candy; strands and strands of spun sugar wrapped around a filling of sugared peanuts and almonds:

IMG_9973.JPG

Some delicious BBQ at Baekjeong (all ladies!) with neuk gan sal intercostal rib meat (my favourite cut), some highly marbled beef flap, pork neck, spicy chilli pork and an ingenious egg-moat poured around a channel in the side of the pan, for either dipping your meat into, or letting it cook up into a nice fluffy omelette:

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

A brief stop at 'World Dumpling Day' in Lotte Department store:

IMG_9998.JPG

IMG_9999.JPG

And, uh, that classic Korean dessert, Fauchon eclairs..

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

• Like 15

5 degrees Celsius here, and pathetic Australians start dying at anything under 10 Celsius, so had galbi jjim at Gangnam Myeondok in an attempt to warm up; beef short ribs and king mushrooms braised in soy sauce and honey, soooo meltingly tender. And tofu mandu dumplings.

And a whole bottle of soju. 

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 14

And last meal before the airport..

Why yes, Korea, you land of twisted geniuses, I know it's only 9am, but I WOULD like a moat of molten cheese poured around my cauldron of fire-hot chicken and ramyun noodles for breakfast. Delicious!

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

Anyway, thanks for reading, everyone! It's been lovely sharing it all with you!

Kate

• Like 13