• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West Coast Girl Needs East Coast Help!

syrah girl

Hello East Coast people! We are coming to the East Coast for the first time. I would like opinions on Aqua Terra in Annapolis, Bartlett Pear Inn and Mason in Easton and Blue Duck Tavern and Flume in Washington DC. Also, any good suggestions for places in St. Michaels to sample some good Maryland crab cakes and clam chowder. All opinions welcomed, and thank you! :)

I lived in Annapolis in the late 70's and early 80's, so I can't be of much help, but....

There used to be a place in/near Annapolis that you got to by driving through some woods. It was a plain building on the water and they caught crabs right there and served them same day. I do not recall the name, but, IIRC it was just a man's first name like Dave's or something. The place is like a shack/log cabin. They have picnic tables set up in long rows. These are covered newspaper. You order at the counter and they had steamed crabs by the dozen and maybe a couple of other things. The crabs came hot out of the kitchen in a cardboard box (the kind used to hold 4 six-packs of soda). You could get get soda in a can to drink. IIRC there were rolls of paper towels on the table. This was, at the time, widely regarded as the best place to eat crabs in the county. They did not advertise or seek reviews, local people just went there. Ask around....

If anyone offers you Smith island cake, try it!

Cantler's is popularly regarded as "the" crab shack in the area. Be aware, though, that crab season has passed and price and quality may be affected. Also note that Maryland is not a clam chowder hotbed.

Can't comment on the Annapolis places, but I'd spend my money someplace besides Blue Duck. My experience and that of friends has been that it's inconsistent at best and quite pricey. If the you want to eat somewhere in that part of town, I'd recommend Marcel's instead. Also, never heard of (and can't find on google) Flume.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We dined at Aqua Terra in Annapolis last night, great place and I had the Blue Crab crab cakes for the first time. Very good! Today we dined at the Crab Claw, I loved the views of Chesapeake Bay from the dining room. It was rainy all day today here in Maryland, I really enjoyed the clam chowder and the guys from the table next to us offered us one of their whole crabs, that was really fun to eat, also. So far, the highlight of our trip has been our meal at Bartlett Pear Inn (formerly Inn @ Easton.) This place totally rocks and the food was very innovative. Cauliflower soup with risotto and foie gras, a chilled tomato salad that was beautiful upon presentation and very yummy, I had the Rockfish with Swiss Chard was amazing, the chocolate souffle for dessert was perfectly prepared and drizzled with a basil sauce. Ambiance is very romantic, service was friendly and very attentive. I see this place going places fast, it has only been open for 5 weeks, next door to Mason's. I love Maryland and can't wait to try some more new places tomorrow. I'll report back then! :)

t