• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking a ham

Andrew Fenton

At my wife's request, Thanksgiving this year will feature, in addition to a turkey, a ham. While I've smoked many a butt, I've never smoked a ham and I'm looking for a little guidance.

I have Ruhlman/Polcyn's Charcuterie book, which has a straightforward-looking recipe, one that's not too different from what I do with a butt: brine, dry, smoke. The differences seem to be that there's some pink salt in the cure (makes it "hammier", I guess), and that there's a glaze added while cooking. So far, so good.

But I have a couple of questions: first, while I don't think I'll have a problem getting a fresh ham from the butcher, would it be a problem if I use a picnic shoulder? And what final temperature should I be aiming for? I assume I don't want to get it up to pulled pork temperatures. And finally, any techniques or recipes I should know about?

At my wife's request, Thanksgiving this year will feature, in addition to a turkey, a ham. While I've smoked many a butt, I've never smoked a ham and I'm looking for a little guidance.

I have Ruhlman/Polcyn's Charcuterie book, which has a straightforward-looking recipe, one that's not too different from what I do with a butt: brine, dry, smoke. The differences seem to be that there's some pink salt in the cure (makes it "hammier", I guess), and that there's a glaze added while cooking. So far, so good.

But I have a couple of questions: first, while I don't think I'll have a problem getting a fresh ham from the butcher, would it be a problem if I use a picnic shoulder? And what final temperature should I be aiming for? I assume I don't want to get it up to pulled pork temperatures. And finally, any techniques or recipes I should know about?

I did a ham using the Ruhlman/Polcyn recipe from the book last year and it turned out great. I think you may want to get the ham. I'm sure you could use the shoulder, but your product would be different. As I recall, once it is cured the smoking is more for some flavor than cooking. I do not recall the temperature they recommend, but I did not have it on the smoker a real long time

Interesting. I've just started work on a ham for Thanksgiving. Its a shoulder.

You can see what I've been doing on my blog, address below, there is a recipe for the brining liquid which is mostly cider.

Recipe is from "the River Cottage Cookbook" from England. Its a different approach.

At the end of the brining period I'll boil it, then dry it a bit and roast it. This is a very typical English approach and is really delicious.

Have a look.