• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Treats for Construction Workers

baroness

I am in the process of having my entire basement floor replaced; all the old concrete, soil, odd pipes, and so forth were removed Friday. The new floor will be poured tomorrow(Monday), and with the logistics involved will require almost all the material be carried in by hand. :blink: So I will have at least 8 hardworking, perhaps chilly workers plus their boss whom I would like to treat at breaktime. The boss usually gets coffee and bagels - and lunch; whatever I make will be extra and can be snacked on for the day.

Since a great deal of the items usually IN the basement are now in the kitchen creating an an obstacle course :wacko: , I need to keep my treat(s) easy to make. Anything I could make today rather than tomorrow would be great. I'm thinking that the baked item(s) need to be able to be easily consumed with one hand and not require additions (butter, jam, etc.).

Muffins were my first thought; pumpkin and/or corn (enriched with corn kernels, cheese)...Then I remembered an Apple-cinnamon snack cake that would work; also Oatmeal-peanut butter-chocolate chip bars. The latter two could be made tonight, cut and wrapped individually.

What would YOU make?

Just found your post. Gosh, I love the idea of such a thread, and was immediately thinking about my own need for answers as to what to make for gifts for the paper lady, the postal lady, the veterinarians, our butcher, guys at the transfer station (aka garbage dump), and so forth. These wonderful folks are so good to us...and our dogs :wub: ...that I always make things for them. It seems the more sugar and butter, the better.

We need to make sure whatever it we make corresponds to what 'others' like. Now I wouldn't thank anyone for milk chocolate :raz: , but others seem to like it best. I have to keep that in mind given my own proclivities. I gave some delicious dark chocolate to two friends in Moab last year, and they each said...it tastes like pure cocoa. Interesting.

So my first response to the 'corn' idea is...No, not corn. But the oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chip item..Yes! Guys like stuff like that for sure. Builder guys invariably like that stuff. Almost all kids like that.

I'll think about what you can make, although you'll get better answers from experienced bakers.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It just so happens that one of the businesses that I run is a construction company. I also buy lunch for my guys, and in the afternoon we usually send for coffee, so I was thinking something like coffee cakes, muffins, or cookies or mini pies. I think more mainstream rather than artsy would go over better with these type of guys.

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

I do a lot of this right now as we are putting on an addition at the cottage. Cinnamon rolls can be retarded in the fridge overnight and baked off in the morning for a fresh treat. Cookies, muffins, coffee cake can all be baked the day before. Banana bread. Carrot cake in a 9 x 13 pan so can be cut in individual servings easily.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Wonderful ideas. I was thinking a nice rice krispie treat (for a mid-day snack) - the larger ones maybe jazzed up a bit.

I am a fan of ooey, gooey butter cakes, oatmeal chocolate chip muffins, and I agree something hearty and not to artsy would go well.

Thank you for the ideas - we are having some landscaping work done in our yard in a few weeks and I think that would be a nice treat for the workers.

Let us know what you decide.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

My construction guys got chocolate - whatever I happened to be making at the time. They snarfed them down pretty readily.

But under the constraints you have I'd probably make coffee cake, brownies, gingerbread (the cake kind), blondies, cheese or raisin biscuits, big soft cookies (sour cream cookies - quick and dirty to make - variations like hermit easily done) or muffins.

Here's one of the reasons I love eG...the range of tastes, experiences, and opinions. :wub:

I probably would not have thought of brownies (I like dark chocolate, but not many chocolate-flavored things), without Kerry's suggestion.

Thinking "manstream"/mainstream -- should the brownies be plain? Seems that a lot of people don't like nuts in them.

I don't think I can play with yeasted items, due to lack of counter space; also the timing of errands that may come up tomorrow.

Rice krispie treats sound good, too, for those who don't like chocolate.

If only I could think of a non-sweet/savory bar "cookie" to add to the mix........

Gotta have brownies. I have a couple of guys who work in construction, and they'd rather have brownies than cake or cookies, any time.

As for savory, how about some bacon-cheddar muffins?

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Anything which includes bacon, or cheese, or chocolate. Maybe some a combination thereof. Cut into pieces that are not too big, and won't crumble. If you decide to go the muffin route, I'd suggest smaller, like 2-3 bite size, and make more of them :)

Brownies and choc. chip cookies seem to be the big winners, here.

Karen Dar Woon

I also vote for the brownies, and rice krispy treats, cookies, but maybe something more savory like some kind of finger sandwiches?

edit to add: Hot wings, buffalo chicken wings would go over big as well I bet.

Edited by CKatCook (log)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

The wings would be a big hit in more 'civilized' circumstances, but the guys will lose access to washing-up facilities (other than the outdoor hose bib) early in the floor-restoring process. :unsure:

That's why I'm trying to limit the treats to things that can be eaten out of their wrappers; and that will taste fine at 65 degrees or cooler. The boss WILL be getting their lunch, so perhaps I should stay out of the savory arena.

How about whoopie pies? They can be made in different flavors, they're eaten with the hands, and can be made into 2-3 bites size.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

What a nice thought. My plan would be:

Chocolate chip cookies

Small precut bunches of grapes

Small rolls made into ham and turkey sandwiches, just a few bites each (even though the boss is getting lunch)

Gatorade assortment (small bottles) on ice

Roasted nuts or a Chex Mix type concoction (I make mine with fresh roasted nuts, oat squares, raisins, dried cherries)

Rice Krispie bars cut into small pieces

Carafes of hot chocolate and coffee

We had some work done recently and I was surprised at how healthy and careful the eating habits were.

I e-mailed a young electrician friend a list of many of the above choices.

His response: "Great idea! Workers will respect you more and work happier if you give them something for their coffee break." :wink:

His first choice was the cinnamon apple coffee cake, which was already baking when I read his response.

The brownies are cooling now, and I'll do the RK bars later tonight or early in the morning.

I think I've done enough obstacle course baking for now..... :wacko:

I am on the brownie and chocolate chip cookie train as well. Things that are one or two bites and not sticky or gooey. Sometimes I bake them in a disposable pan and just give the the pan with a plastic knife, a handful of napkins or paper towels and some small zip lock bags so they can take the extras home. They usually have water jugs, but extras water bottles are sometimes appreciated. Things with a screw top they can transport without spillage.

I am on the brownie and chocolate chip cookie train as well. Things that are one or two bites and not sticky or gooey. Sometimes I bake them in a disposable pan and just give the the pan with a plastic knife, a handful of napkins or paper towels and some small zip lock bags so they can take the extras home. They usually have water jugs, but extras water bottles are sometimes appreciated. Things with a screw top they can transport without spillage.

Hmmmm...that could go into the mailbox for eating on the long drive (rural mail). Or to the computer tech guys. Oh, great for the transfer station guys. Who can resist a brownie...better than fudge or most confectionery items for guys. Thanks. Heidi. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sausage rolls are the perfect savoury bite-sized snack. You can make them small so they really are bite-sized, but you can make them larger, too, if you want to offer them something more substantial.

I use store-bought puff pastry, ground pork, shallots if I can get them, and penzey's breakfast sausage seasoning. Sometimes I add cheese (omg--it's soooo good! Especially when the cheese melts out and makes those crispy cheese webs all around), or chopped asparagus or red peppers if I want to give pretense of making "healthful" sausage rolls.

Think not too picky or idealistic 17 year old boys; normally, they'll eat anything that's not nailed down, or that won't put up too big a fight to eat them first! :laugh: HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a postscript to my treat-making venture:

I sent a bag of goodies off with the (new to me) plumber, as he finished up before coffee break. When I called him to request a slight change to his work, he called back within the hour, arrived early, and he only charged for the part used....and he complimented me on the treats. Oh, the power of food! :wink:

This is such an interesting topic, because when I was building out my bakery, I was tempted to make treats for the plumbers, the electricians, real estate agents, etc. What was interesting is the people who got the most treats usually gave me the worst service. I got to thinking about it because I really am thankful to be able to hire help to build certain things, and I really don't mind making treats and giving them away since i love to bake. However, I think there is something that happens when you do this to people you are hiring. I got to thinking about this, and perhaps what happens when you're on the receiving side is initially, you're thrilled. you love chocolate chip cookies. you eat them up. then you think, hey this lady is already paying us for the job. is this part of the pay? does she want special favors? we work for cash, not cookies...and so on. I am sure this is not exactly how this happens, but I think it's just a natural human nature thing. I am not saying you should not be good to your workers, I am just saying that perhaps think about when the treats are doled out...perhaps at the end of their work day might send a more effective message of thanks.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe