• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking in your Thermomix

Kerry Beal

Did mushroom risotto again yesterday, shitaki this time - can't get over how effortless it is.

There was enough leftover risotto with which to experiment so I added some chicken stock and ran the machine at speed 7 for 50 seconds and the result was a thick and very tasty sauce/gravy that I am going to put over something that needs gravy. :biggrin: Possibly this is healthier than the usual pan gravy I prepare. Certainly there has to be less fat.

Another thought for leftover risotto is to bread it and fry in little patties or balls. A cube of some sort of cheese in the center makes it perfect. Of course probably not helpful in the weight loss area!

I don't know if it is because of the items I am preparing in the TMX or because I have been more active with all my baking and such, but I am losing weight. Eleven pounds in two weeks. :laugh: Usually at this time of the year I gain - so this is a big plus!

Oh no! I think I am losing weight too! Mostly though it's from playing and forgetting to eat except for a taste here and there. I too have found that doughs work remarkably well in Big Bertha esp. if I use my own recipes. Other recipes not so much unless I tweak them a bit. Have not yet tried risotto though it is high on the list - just something that I want to incorporate into a meal plan and that occasion hasn't yet arisen.

I hope you do try to keep some records - I am trying! It would be fun to see what we come up with.

I was hoping some more experienced TMXers would be chiming into this topic but perhaps there are just not many eG members familiar with this appliance.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Did mushroom risotto again yesterday, shitaki this time - can't get over how effortless it is.

There was enough leftover risotto with which to experiment so I added some chicken stock and ran the machine at speed 7 for 50 seconds and the result was a thick and very tasty sauce/gravy that I am going to put over something that needs gravy. :biggrin: Possibly this is healthier than the usual pan gravy I prepare. Certainly there has to be less fat.

Another thought for leftover risotto is to bread it and fry in little patties or balls. A cube of some sort of cheese in the center makes it perfect. Of course probably not helpful in the weight loss area!

Arancini! I love love love arancini. Arancini traditionally has ragu in the middle (plus cheese--it's always better with cheese). There's also suppli, but I can't remember the difference.

Fried stuff is always good; fried stuff with cheese is even better.

I wish I had a Thermomix to make risotto just so I could make arancini with the leftovers!

Last night I made the panattone from the UK thermomix site here. I don't have instant yeast in the house and I foolishly used 1 1/2 tsp of regular yeast (soaked of course). I ended up with a lovely loaf, but it wasn't panattone. It was quite compact - excellent flavour thought. I'll make it again tonight adding about a tbsp of yeast and anticipate that this will allow the dough to rise to the expected loft.

Last night I made the panattone from the UK thermomix site here. I don't have instant yeast in the house and I foolishly used 1 1/2 tsp of regular yeast (soaked of course). I ended up with a lovely loaf, but it wasn't panattone. It was quite compact - excellent flavour thought. I'll make it again tonight adding about a tbsp of yeast and anticipate that this will allow the dough to rise to the expected loft.

I think you need to extend the proofing period. I made the brioche from the recipe book and it took twice as long to double in size as the recipe indicated.

I have found that with panattone, as well as with stollen, the fruit and spices will retard the action of the yeast somewhat. Especially with regular dry yeast.

I wish I could get fresh yeast - so many of my old recipes were developed with it and just don't behave the way they should with regular or "instant" yeast.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My friend uses the thermomix all the time for cooking (as opposed to baking) - all kinds of mashed root vegetables, soups, sauces, baby food...

He's got a problem now, though... he just got an error code 39 and doesn't know how to fix it... any ideas??

I think you need to extend the proofing period. I made the brioche from the recipe book and it took twice as long to double in size as the recipe indicated.

I have found that with panattone, as well as with stollen, the fruit and spices will retard the action of the yeast somewhat. Especially with regular dry yeast.

I wish I could get fresh yeast - so many of my old recipes were developed with it and just don't behave the way they should with regular or "instant" yeast.

I can get fresh yeast - they sell at at Denninger's which is a local european store. But I'm sure just adding more yeast and waiting longer will do the trick. I think I've waited a little late tonight to get started, although I could mix it up, start the first proof then put it in the pan and into the fridge overnight for the second rise.

My friend uses the thermomix all the time for cooking (as opposed to baking) - all kinds of mashed root vegetables, soups, sauces, baby food...

He's got a problem now, though... he just got an error code 39 and doesn't know how to fix it... any ideas??

His best bet would be to go to this site, scroll down to the bottom and click on "Contact" and ask the question.

Or join this forum http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?www and ask the question there.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My intention last night was to make a whole meal in the TMX: Steamed salmon filets with olive oil and lemon, steamed potatoes and steamed vegetables. It did not go well but I can't blame Big Bertha. Just as I started I got a call from my daughter who was stranded with my granddaughter in a car that was going nowhere. By the time I got them safely home and re-started dinner I managed to overcook the salmon, forgot all about the vegetables and the only thing that worked to perfection were the steamed potatoes! The salmon filets were so thin that I suspect no cooking method would have resulted in moist, flaky salmon. So I will have to try again to see what Bertha can do in terms of a full, fast meal.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Don't know if this will help - it's for the TM31 not the TM21

Error messages of the appliance can be reset as

follows:

By pulling the mains plug:

E.r 23, 28, 32, 38, 39, 70

By turning the speed selector to "open lid" and

then to "closed lid" :

E.r 22, 24-27, 29-31, 34-37, 51-69 (if I am reading the symbols correctly!)

Only by Vorwerk customer service:

E.r 71, 72

My 2004 eG Blog

Over in the Ad Hoc at Home thread, OliverB is making cauliflower soup. I don't have the book (yet), but I think I've got most of the ingredients from reading his description.

It occurred to me that this soup would be the perfect item for the TMX. I chopped up a head of cauliflower, a leek and half an onion and put it in the steamer basket and let it steam for about 30 minutes on varoma temperature.

I added the steamed veg to about 1 cup of the steaming liquid, a cup of milk, a cup of heavy cream, a bit of curry powder, salt and pepper. I simmered this together for about 30 minutes, let it cool for a bit, then blitzed at speed 7 for 30 seconds or so.

It's a wonderful soup, I'll have to make the accouterments to go with it tomorrow - the beet slices and the croutons.

Who needs a vitamix!

That sounds soooooo good, Kerry.

I've lost track of the different soups I have thrown together in the TMX, none with a particular recipe - as in spite of the fine cookbook and many recipes available online, I am still a "seat-of-the-pants" cook and tend to operate as I have ever done, selecting what looks interesting in the fridge and/or pantry.

Unfortunately I am rarely able to duplicate my results exactly every time but I like variety and only have to please myself, most of the time.

I had some leftover steamed new potatoes and after steaming some broccoli flowerets in the basket, I put some turkey stock (about 1 1/2 cups and strongly flavored with onions and garlic) into the bowl, tossed in the potatoes and the broccoli and turned it on to temp 90 at speed 3 until there was steam coming up. I then tossed in some chunks of sharp cheddar (about 6 ounces-half of a 12-oz chunk), turned the speed up to 7-8 (with the cup in place) for 1 minute and had a lovely broc/cheese/potato soup.

For some drop-in guests, I also made a white bean/lentil hummus, using canned beans, olive oil, fresh garlic and lemon juice and with a pinch of pimenton - lovely smoky flavor, plus salt and pepper. I always have pita bread in the freezer as it only takes a couple of minutes to thaw and heat it in the oven - in a damp brown-paper bag.

Topped with some chopped parsley.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Helene, a Canadian Thermomix fan, who blogs about the machine, and has a wealth of experience with it, has converted one of my antique family recipes for use in the Thermomix.

The link is here: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2009/3268/thermomix-cake-kuchen-recipe.html

This is the cocoa fruitcake that I posted in RecipeGullet some time back - but this is a more manageable size that works nicely in the Thermomix.

And much, much speedier than my old version.

I have to take my hat off to Helene, this task required some significant juggling.

Helene, a Canadian Thermomix fan, who blogs about the machine, and has a wealth of experience with it, has converted one of my antique family recipes for use in the Thermomix.

The link is here: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2009/3268/thermomix-cake-kuchen-recipe.html

This is the cocoa fruitcake that I posted in RecipeGullet some time back - but this is a more manageable size that works nicely in the Thermomix.

And much, much speedier than my old version.

I have to take my hat off to Helene, this task required some significant juggling.

Looks tasty - I'll have to try it. Needs an amount of fruit and nuts first however.

Working on another panettone recipe right now. I left the first stage in the TMX overnight - it was crawling out the top this morning.

I'm intrigued by this thing. Approximately how much does it cost for a TMX here in the states, shipped from BC?

Andie should be able to give a definite answer - but I think around $1600 US.

So these are my two latest attempts at panettone. This first picture is the recipe from the UK thermomix site mentioned previously.

Library - 11008.jpg

The second loaf was from

this site. Some modification. The crumb was much more satisfactory, but the flavour needs a bit of tweeking.

Library - 11007.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 3 weeks later...

For those who want to cook things that are temp critical in the TMX, here is what I did.

I don't trust the temp sensor in the TMX - I don't think it is quite accurate enough for some things.

I drilled a hole in the flange that allows the probe of the Thermapen to be inserted. Should work with other probes too, although the ones with a wire should be taped to the handle so they can't drop through.

HPIM2458.JPG

• 1 month later...

For those who want to cook things that are temp critical in the TMX, here is what I did.

I don't trust the temp sensor in the TMX - I don't think it is quite accurate enough for some things.

I drilled a hole in the flange that allows the probe of the Thermapen to be inserted. Should work with other probes too, although the ones with a wire should be taped to the handle so they can't drop through.

HPIM2458.JPG

Thank you!

What a brilliant idea!!!

Make it Happen

Valerie: A Canadian Foodie

Email me

http://www.acanadianfoodie.com

I love my Thermomix!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping that some of you Thermomix experts can give me some advice. The machine sounds fascinating, and I am very curious to try it. Right now I have a couple of projects that need my immediate attention, and I though I have been researching other machines, I think the Thermomix might be the best.

First, I am looking for a wet-grinder for processing all the whole grains and pulses used in Indian cuisine.

Second, I am looking for a grinder with which to make pure nut butters.

Third, I am looking for a grinder to finely process chiles and spices, for example for Mexican mole.

Can the Thermomix do a good job with all these tasks? I've also looked into Vita-mix and Sumeet (which I understand now have manufacturing problems and are difficult to order). Any thoughts or suggestions? Have any of you compared these products?

How smooth does the Thermomix process things such as nut butters, gianduja, and simpler stuff like soups?

How finely does it grind?

Thanks so much for your help! I am totally confused and the sums are too big for me to take the plunge without input from the experts! :)

Edited by Paola (log)
hungryburro.com-- tasty healthy food from around the world

I'm hoping that some of you Thermomix experts can give me some advice. The machine sounds fascinating, and I am very curious to try it. Right now I have a couple of projects that need my immediate attention, and I though I have been researching other machines, I think the Thermomix might be the best.

First, I am looking for a wet-grinder for processing all the whole grains and pulses used in Indian cuisine.

Second, I am looking for a grinder with which to make pure nut butters.

Third, I am looking for a grinder to finely process chiles and spices, for example for Mexican mole.

Can the Thermomix do a good job with all these tasks? I've also looked into Vita-mix and Sumeet (which I understand now have manufacturing problems and are difficult to order). Any thoughts or suggestions? Have any of you compared these products?

How smooth does the Thermomix process things such as nut butters, gianduja, and simpler stuff like soups?

How finely does it grind?

Thanks so much for your help! I am totally confused and the sums are too big for me to take the plunge without input from the experts! :)

I think the TMX would handle all these tasks. I had to make hazelnut paste 2 days ago in large quantity. I think I succeeded in damaging one of the jars on my sumeet doing it. So bunged everything in the TMX and got a paste as smooth as that I had made in the sumeet.

I was speaking to Mayear at Sumeet last week, they are waiting for a shipment from India but as you say there is a manufacturing problem with the jars so they think it will be another week or two before they ship.

You can essentially grind just about anything to a paste in the TMX.

Last month I made a batch of sambal badjak in the TMX and it turned out as smooth as any other method I have used. I soaked the chiles first but the spices were dry until I added the palm sugar and the coconut.

I didn't have candlenuts so substituted macadamia nuts and the TMX ground them smooth. (I did not include the trassi as I am allergic to shrimp)

I've ground dried peas successfully. I haven't tried dried beans because I grind them in my Nutrimill.

However I have ground soaked garbanzo beans in the TMX and then turned up the heat to cook the paste, then added roasted sesame seeds and ground the whole mass smooth while cooking it. Turned out nice.

For nut butters I have ground cashews, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts and I have reduced fresh young coconut to a sloppy paste, exactly the consistency I wanted.

I've ground whole spices, including a whole nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon bark, cardamom seeds and star anise successfully. (but a bit noisy)

And I have made several batches of marzipan with great success.

I suggest that you review some of the methods used by avid TMX users on

Forum Thermomix

The folks on that forum are very friendly, mostly in Australia, and some have a lot of experience with the TMX and also like to experiment - a lot!

Thanks for your input! I will definitely check out the Forum Thermomix. In your opinion is it redundant to have both a Sumeet and a TMX? Do you find yourself gravitating more to one or the other for particular tasks? Any thoughts on particular advantages that the Sumeet would have over TMX?

hungryburro.com-- tasty healthy food from around the world

Thanks for your input! I will definitely check out the Forum Thermomix. In your opinion is it redundant to have both a Sumeet and a TMX? Do you find yourself gravitating more to one or the other for particular tasks? Any thoughts on particular advantages that the Sumeet would have over TMX?

I still use the Sumeet for cinnamon - I have 2 inch diameter pieces of Saigon cinnamon to grind. It also does a better job reducing cocoa nibs to cocoa liquor.

And you can never have too many toys in your kitchen!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I think the TMX would handle all these tasks. I had to make hazelnut paste 2 days ago in large quantity. I think I succeeded in damaging one of the jars on my sumeet doing it. So bunged everything in the TMX and got a paste as smooth as that I had made in the sumeet.

I was speaking to Mayear at Sumeet last week, they are waiting for a shipment from India but as you say there is a manufacturing problem with the jars so they think it will be another week or two before they ship.

You can essentially grind just about anything to a paste in the TMX.

Oh man, I really like my Thermomix, not the least of reasons being I got to cancel my Sumeet order after hearing "two weeks" every time I called for over a year! The Thermomix is a wonderful piece of machinery that gives me nothing but pleasure every time I use it, not to mention the best-consistency oatmeal I have ever had. A great way to start the day.