• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Cook's Illustrated" books

HowardLi

In what order should a reader new to CI/ATK get their books? I'm reasonably sure The New Best Recipe is a great one to start with, but what next? The Best 30-Minute Recipe? More Best Recipes?

EDIT: Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum. Can somebody move this please?

Edited by HowardLi (log)

Sometimes there is quite a bit of overlap between the books. They're trying to maximize profits of course. So while I don't think there is any particular order, pick what you are interested in and check the contents for duplicate recipes, before purchasing.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Personally, I think a copy of The New Best Recipe and a subscription to cooksillustrated.com (which is the only elegant way to get around the Kimball Empire's most maddening problem, lousy indexing) is the best way to go. I haven't found any of the other books particularly worthwhile.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Sometimes there is quite a bit of overlap between the books. They're trying to maximize profits of course. So while I don't think there is any particular order, pick what you are interested in and check the contents for duplicate recipes, before purchasing.

I agree. And I would add: see if you can find used copies and save your money. Although CI has a few good recipes much of what they do and what turns up again and again in their books (and magazine) is the same old same old. Boredom sets in pretty quickly. :sad:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Personally, I think a copy of The New Best Recipe and a subscription to cooksillustrated.com (which is the only elegant way to get around the Kimball Empire's most maddening problem, lousy indexing) is the best way to go. I haven't found any of the other books particularly worthwhile.

I agree (especially about the lousy indexing and let's not forget the pitiful search engine), but there is one other book worth getting, Restaurant Favorites at Home. I haven't seen those recipes in any of the other cookbooks, and there are several really good recipes. Otherwise, NBR is the way to go.

In what order should a reader new to CI/ATK get their books?

Hi,

Personally, I think the magazine is much more useful than any of the books. Only in the magazine will you see a discussion of recipe development that fully outlines the specific reasons for procedures selected. While many of their recipes claim innovations which have been appropriated without attribution, they do result in recipes that works.

As to your question, many of their book purchaser recommend NOT ORDERING THE BOOKS FROM COOK'S ILLUSTRATED! When you order from them, there is fine print specifying that you will receive further books in the future and be charged. The problem is compounded with poor customer service and agressive collection methods.

Darcie is right about the Restaurant Favorites book.

Tim

I have the Best Light Recipe book. It's been helpful for discerning which ingredients are structural components, when making substitutions for various dietary needs. But I do see some duplication between various other books.

Karen Dar Woon

the 30 min book is not bad, though I must say that I rarely use any of their books and over the last year or so found nothing much of interest in the magazine either. There are much better books out there and personally I prefer Fine Cooking and Cuisine at Home (and Bon Appetit and Sauveur) over CI. I won't renew my sub once it runs out, unless they bring the mag a bit up to date with full color photos etc. Those odd drawings and the overall feel of the mag is a bit dated I think.

I've read lots of praise about the best recipe books too, though I don't own them. Check used book stores or places like abebooks.com or even Amazon.

And yes, be careful when you order from them, they try to powersell you stuff down the road, they are almost impossible to reach and eventually will just make you mad.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog