• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocoley couverture

psantucc

I'm trying to get better at hand-dipping, and think part of the reason for my troubles may have been my choice of chocolate - Trader Joe's 'Pound Plus' bars, which I like for flavor, but which seem very high viscosity to me.

I've seen a few topics here at eGullet that have left me confused as to my choice. I love the flavors of El Rey, but it seems to fare poorly here, and requires a greater quantity (and thus greater shipping cost) than I need.

In my web searching, I found Chocoley:

http://www.lusciouschocolate.com/realchocolate.htm

Which seems to have chocolates that fit the bill, and flexible quantities. It looks too good to be true - do any of you have experience with them - or a favored alternative manufacturer with a supplier that will sell 5 lb. or so quantities?

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

What kind of troubles have you been having?

What percentage of cocoa does the chocolate you're using have and are you adding either butter, shortening or wax to it before you dip?

Are you tempering the chocolate or just melting it?

Is what you're dipping room temperature or cold?

and

Are you dipping with forks, literally by hand or by some other means?

All of this will affect the finished product.

Edited by cteavin (log)

I've used Guittard and Valrhona and been happy with both. Not sure what the issue is with quantities. There are a number of places that sell these in quantities ranging from 1lb to a couple of kilos. I've purchased from chocosphere.com and l'epicerie.com.

What kind of troubles have you been having?

What percentage of cocoa does the chocolate you're using have and are you adding either butter, shortening or wax to it before you dip?

Are you tempering the chocolate or just melting it?

Is what you're dipping room temperature or cold?

and

Are you dipping with forks, literally by hand or by some other means?

All of this will affect the finished product.

I have problems with too thick a coating and too big a foot- fairly sloppy looking.

I don't know the cocoa percentage. The stuff I have been using isn't sold as couverture; it's meant to be eaten as candy and doesn't offer the figure on the label. If I had to guess I'd say the milk I've used is about 40% and the bittersweet about 60%, based solely on flavor. I have never added cocoa butter, shortening, or any other substance.

I do temper the chocolate.

My centers are room temperature when I dip them.

I've tried both fork and literal hand dipping, and had better luck with my hands.

I've used Guittard and Valrhona and been happy with both. Not sure what the issue is with quantities. There are a number of places that sell these in quantities ranging from 1lb to a couple of kilos. I've purchased from chocosphere.com and l'epicerie.com.

Chocosphere! That was the one I couldn't remember!

I've had quantity problems because I was only shopping manufacturer's websites - El Rey and several others will sell direct, but in 5kg minimums.

I bet I can go a long way on this tip. Thanks very much.

Pat