• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas gifts for the cook (2010)

Darienne

Someone let slip that I will be receiving a Smoking Gun for Christmas. Glad I learned, as I have been considering buying one. I do have a smoker but it's difficult to justify firing the thing up for just one small item.

I am also getting the Brevill Pie baker from someone who thinks I spend too much time in the kitchen. Ha!

I had been warned to not buy ANY appliances after Thanksgiving. Still wondering about what anyone could possibly find that I don't already have or don't really need.

I'm holding off on the pasta maker because there have also been hints it might also be in my "stocking" - - -

Not too worried about gaining weight. I prepare a fair amount of pasta on a regular basis.

and by the way, I have cut a bunch of dowels that just fit into my Excalibur dehydrator and can fit 6 filled with long pasta into it and dry it perfectly in about 20 minutes.

Much better than having my old pasta dryer standing on the counter for a couple of hours.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think so too. I have a small covered pot that I have been using for making rice and it works most of the time. When it doesn't, its due to operator error. I've read all of the rice cooker threads on this forum and decided this model is going to be just right for the two of us.

One you get the Zo and begin playing with it, you will wonder why you waited so long.

I don't think that model comes with a steaming plate but you can get one of the collapsible ones with little feet that hold the food out of the water and it works great as a steamer, and you can line the steamer with parchment for things such as potstickers etc.

I steam artichokes in my rice cooker and they turn out perfect every time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I already received a Technivorm Moccamaster for Christmas this year. It's a great machine, and it looks splendid on my counter, but I've yet to make the perfect cup of coffee, as only preground Dunkin' Donuts coffee has graced its basket. I'm also used to Folger's Singles and the occasional cup of Starbucks mocha, so "real" coffee is sort of new to me.

I'd also love to get a burr grinder, a Sous Vide Supreme, an Ultra Pride wet-dry grinder, a curing chamber, a proper sausage stuffer, a steam injection setup for baking bread, and one of those apple peeler/corer/slicer gadgets. Not happening this year.

One you get the Zo and begin playing with it, you will wonder why you waited so long.

I don't think that model comes with a steaming plate but you can get one of the collapsible ones with little feet that hold the food out of the water and it works great as a steamer, and you can line the steamer with parchment for things such as potstickers etc.

Andiesenji - Thanks for the tip. What setting do you use when you want to use the cooker as a steamer?

Your life is about to change for the better.

Just curious why you say this? I don't own a rice cooker of this caliber, just a cheap Wallyword $25 non-stick version. Since I'm assuming it's just for cooking rice, what makes the Zojirushi so "life changing"?

The Zojirushi makes perfect rice (and oatmeal, and...), every time. Perfect. Every. Time. If you've rarely had perfect rice -- and if you're like I was, it was a rare occurrence indeed -- and you eat it regularly, well....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The Zojirushi makes perfect rice (and oatmeal, and...), every time. Perfect. Every. Time. If you've rarely had perfect rice -- and if you're like I was, it was a rare occurrence indeed -- and you eat it regularly, well....

Interesting... I do love rice. Do you have an Amazon link to the model you own?

Andiesenji - Thanks for the tip. What setting do you use when you want to use the cooker as a steamer?

I use the regular rice setting. I put about half an inch of water in the pan which in my 10 cup gives me 15 minutes of steam. Some things require less time so I just open the pot and check on how it is - with filled dumplings, etc., I use a probe thermometer to make sure the center has reached at least 165 degrees. For artichokes or potatoes, I use a skewer to see if it penetrates easily, indicating they are done.

I had to do a bit of experimenting but I have been cooking with steam for a long, long time so had a pretty good idea of how much time was needed.

One of Santa's helpers, aka the UPS man, deliverd my rice cooker yesterday. I was going to wait until after Christmas but what the heck, we made jasmine rice to go with our sausage and lentil soup last night. The rice was perfect and I love the songs the cooker plays!

One of Santa's helpers, aka the UPS man, deliverd my rice cooker yesterday. I was going to wait until after Christmas but what the heck, we made jasmine rice to go with our sausage and lentil soup last night. The rice was perfect and I love the songs the cooker plays!

I'll probably be sorry I asked... :raz: ..."but what do you mean...the songs the cooker plays!"

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You won't be sorry! The default sound signal for when cooking begins and when the timer is set is "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and when cooking has completed it signals by playing "Amaryllis". These sound signals can be changed to beeps but I think I'll leave the melodies for now.

<snip> A vacuum sealer (don't know what I'd do with it, but looks like fun to experiment!)

EVERYONE, get a vacuum sealer. I cannot believe how great they are. I have saved so much money in bulk purchases, and we no longer have freezer-burned meat. The taste of the meat is so much better as well. The only down side is they tend to break in a year or two if you use them a lot, but my husband futzes around with it and keeps it running for me.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

EVERYONE, get a vacuum sealer. I cannot believe how great they are. I have saved so much money in bulk purchases, and we no longer have freezer-burned meat. The taste of the meat is so much better as well. The only down side is they tend to break in a year or two if you use them a lot, but my husband futzes around with it and keeps it running for me.

And what kind do you recommend?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'll probably be sorry I asked... :raz: ..."but what do you mean...the songs the cooker plays!"

Mine plays Mary had a little lamb when it starts up I think. It does play a song when it starts up and when it finishes, but I'm so used to it, I can't remember the actual songs.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have a book I think You'll love. The Ultimate Rice Cooker by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. Great book.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.