• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas gifts for the cook (2010)

Darienne

I want one of the Kitchen-Aid paddles that does a complete swipe of the bowl and eliminates having to stop/start machines to scrape down the sides with a spatula. They're only $25 -- I have no idea why I haven't bought one already. :rolleyes:

Rhonda

Is it only for K.A. or will it work on a Cuisinart too ?

You simply buy the one made FOR the Cuisinart.

:biggrin: thanks......on Amazon ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Yes, I got one of each on Amazon. My confectionery partner Barbara has a KA and I have a Cuisinart. And there was no shipping or handling. Very nice.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a single thing since Santa came early with my Thermomix and I can't think of anything else I could possibly need or want! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If I had anyone to buy me Christmas presents, I would ask for:

• A tamis (aka drum sieve)
  • The Alinea Cookbook
  • The pastry roller attachment for my KitchenAid

But since I don't have anyone to buy me Christmas presents, I picked up the tamis at a local restaurant supply place (for 20% off because the side was a bit dented). And i'm pondering the other two. I can wrap them up and sign Santa's name to the tag, for the benefit of my five-year old...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I might mention that one of Santa's elves sent me a multi-tier stainless steel bamboo steamer. Was I surprised!!! To the very core. Some folks like to give surprises. Those folks are truly the very nicest folks!

Now to find some ginger to steam. Oh. I know. I have already made a sponge cake in a steamer a la Chinois and now I have a proper steamer and will make another :biggrin: .

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Does it count if I just bought myself some gifts? I just got an Emile Henry tagine, two of Paula Wolfert's cookbooks (Slow Mediterranean & Clay Pot Cooking), Kitty Morse's Vegetarian Table: North Africa and Anita Chu's (PastryGirl) Field Guide to Candy. :raz:

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again...

My kitchen is so well stocked with equipment the only thing I could imagine asking for would be a pressure cooker simply to save time making stocks.

...or money towards a Sous Vide Professional to replace my Auber controller/rice cooker setup (I want this REALLY bad, but damn, $800? Really?!)

How about you guys?

What I would really like is a bigger kitchen but that is never going to happen. When we remodeled this end of the farm 15 years ago, I picked the size and space in the kitchen. Then I had zip interest in cooking...I had to do it...I did it.

Now it's all changed and I am challenged greatly to store ingredients and utensils. The house absorbs all of I need and use, but in so many different locations.

Oh well...

In the meantime, I don't really want anything I guess. (No I don't own everything...I just couldn't possibly use much else at this beginning point in my cooking avocation.)

Oh wait: access to fresh chiles and tomatillos and other Mexican ingredients that you can't buy in Canada. And that isn't going to happen either.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A mini-prep food processor (since I usually cook for just one), so I don't have to haul out the big Cuisinart, a silicone cannele mold, since I've become addicted to those delicious little morsels and a candy thermometer.

Well, really, instead of the mini-prep food processor, I'd *LOVE* a replacement to my dear old Braun Ultramix that died last year, but since Braun decided not to sell these things in the US any longer.....I'll just have to deal with the mini food processor.

But the molds and the thermometer stand regardless.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

A mini-prep food processor (since I usually cook for just one), so I don't have to haul out the big Cuisinart,

If there is ONE thing you can find in the kitchen wares of a second-hand store, it is a mini-food processor! I must have picked up at least 3 over the past years. (Oh, and disposed of them here and there...to son, friend, etc.) This time, I am keeping mine.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On my list so far: a Thermapen, a meat grinder to make pate (chopping by hand is not optimal), Charcuterie by Ruhlman et al., a better pasta machine (the cutters on the manual machine that I own are dull, and I end up having to cut the sheets of pasta by hand).

I am thinking that a Kitchenaid stand mixer with the pasta and meat grinder attachments might be a good idea...

...I'd love a bread-baking book, but not sure which one yet...

Erin, I've fallen in love with 'Secrets of a Jewish Baker' - it's a tad eclectic, but as a non-baker, it's certainly opened up new avenues for me.

My $0.02,

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

...I'd love a bread-baking book, but not sure which one yet...

Erin, I've fallen in love with 'Secrets of a Jewish Baker' - it's a tad eclectic, but as a non-baker, it's certainly opened up new avenues for me.

My $0.02,

One of my favourites too.

I want a Viante Electric Pasta Maker. I saw one demonstrated this evening and was very impressed.

Not that I don't already have pasta rollers and cutters but I don't have one of these machines that does everything except hang the pasta to dry.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A Gel Pro mat for the kitchen floor. It's been on my list for a couple of years but it always gets bumped for something else. A giant box of half sheet sized parchment from Cash and Carry. A vacuum sealer (don't know what I'd do with it, but looks like fun to experiment!) and an immersion circulator. Someone to knock out the wall between the pantry and the downstairs bathroom, take out the toilet and sink, and make me a walk in pantry with lots of storage, but that's not going to happen...the ice cream maker and pasta extruder attachments for the kitchenaid, and and extra bowl and paddle. And a puppy, and a fire truck...oh wait those are from the kid's lists...

: )

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I'd like Chambord.

As in Chateau de. With all the environs, to include what the land hath wrought, and a grand kitchen to work them in.

Short of that, I suppose a hovel in Burgundy will have to do.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I want a Viante Electric Pasta Maker. I saw one demonstrated this evening and was very impressed.

Not that I don't already have pasta rollers and cutters but I don't have one of these machines that does everything except hang the pasta to dry.

I would love a pasta maker. The Viante looks good but at that price point I just don't see it lasting. Ideas in Food likes the Arcobaleno Pasta Extruder. I just don't need that kind of capacity. Is this something out there that's in between those two? If so, I'll put it on my wish list!

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan