• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Monterrey in Asbury Park

Jaybob

I have been going to this place for at least two years now, easily a dozen or more times. On each occasion we have had fantastic meals that are a far cry from the typical Tex/Mex fare that is so abundant, this ain't Taco Bell. It is also a BYOB and very inexpensive. What boggles the mind is that as good as this place is they don't have a lot of traffic, on a Friday night they may have four tables out of twenty filled. The place is also decently appointed, not a dive by any means.

I have no interest here other than the fact that Pedro and his crew are doing a great job and this is genuinely a wonderful restaurant, I would hate to see them close shop due to lack of interest.

Anyone else been there?

Must confess that I haven't been down to AP much in the last year, but I have friends who go frequently; where is this place? Is it on a main street? I'm curious to know how AP is doing in general; when I've been down there on non-summer weekends, it seems that the only restaurant that's really packed is Bistro Ole or the new(ish) bar/rest to the right of Market in the Middle--but that gets a younger crowd and it's certainly not all about the food.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Curlz,

This place is on 71 next to the Good Will/Salvation Army store, a rough and tumble area to some extent and only street parking. With all that said these folks are making great food and trying real hard. I just hate to see them empty while other lesser venues draw in the crowds. I talk to the owner once and a while and he is the classic example of a guy who know what he is doing on the food and service end but has nary a clue about marketing, hence my post.

I had gone there a number of years ago. Sat for like 10 minutes and was never given a menu or silverware. They pretty much refused to acknowledge my existence. Got up and walked out.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

They appear to have better service now although at times it can be spotty. This place, like a lot of ethnic restaurants, is more about the grub than the other stuff.

I will try to get there this week and take some pictures.