• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yokohama's Chinatown: Mystery Dish

Lisa Shock

Last year, when I visited Tokyo and Yokohama, a friend took me quickly through Yokohama's China town. As we walked down a crowded street, I saw a restaurant with a video display sign showing various dishes being prepared and scenes of the dining room. I did not have time to get my camera out or really to even read the signage, I got pulled onward down the street and couldn't stop.

One scene showed a chef with a long, beige, oval shaped object on his shoulder -being held a bit like a violin. This object was the size and shape of a whole provolone cheese or a really long gourd: almost a meter long, at least 20cm in diameter, and evenly beige in color. It may have been dough, but, if so, it was very stiff to retain such a shape. He held a knife and was chipping shavings off the object and the strips were falling into a large bubbling vat of liquid.

Can anyone identify this dish? I would greatly appreciate any clues!