• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh turkey from Amazonfresh

Special K

I am thinking of ordering a fresh turkey for Thanksgiving from Amazonfresh. The choices are Diestel Free Range hens or toms, Northwest Natural hens or toms, and Heidi's Hens hens.

My questions are:

What's the difference between hens and toms? (well, I know the difference between a hen and a tom, but you know what I mean :biggrin:)

Are these reliably good brands?

Or can you recommend something better?

Thanks.

I'm curious as to why you would order a fresh bird from Amazon. Is it hard to find fresh turkey where you live?

(Don't mean to sound like a S.A. I just don't understand when one might want to order a turkey vs. buying one locally)

I'm curious as to why you would order a fresh bird from Amazon. Is it hard to find fresh turkey where you live?

LuckyGirl, you don't sound like a S.A. at all; that is a very reasonable question. It's just that I've been thinking of trying Amazonfresh out, and this seemed like a good place to start since they're offering me 20% off on the first order.

fwiw, if I was trying out a new service, I would probably want to order several lower cost items, just to see how it all gets packed for delivery. Not to mention having a good cross-section of the sorts of products I like.

For bigger-ticket items like turkey (last fresh turkey was $95, at Christmas), I prefer to buy them from someone I know, within 2-3 degrees of separation.

Karen Dar Woon

fwiw, if I was trying out a new service, I would probably want to order several lower cost items, just to see how it all gets packed for delivery. Not to mention having a good cross-section of the sorts of products I like.

For bigger-ticket items like turkey (last fresh turkey was $95, at Christmas), I prefer to buy them from someone I know, within 2-3 degrees of separation.

Good point, Karen. I guess I was hoping to hear from anyone knowledgeable about these particular turkey brands. Oh, well. My other options are the local grocery store that lost my order last Thanksgiving :angry: or the new Whole Foods, which would probably be fine except that they're so new I wonder if the same thing might happen. The QFC I really liked closed recently; they would have been my first choice.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I'm sure I'll find something. It turns out the guests I was expecting cancelled, so I don't need a huge bird for the two of us anyway.

I don't know anything about turkeys, but I really like Amazon Fresh. Their prices don't seem any higher than those at the QFC or Safeway, they package everything carefully, and they have some things (Malt-o-meal brand raisin bran!) that I have a hard time finding other places.