• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

US Bartenders Guild

Chris Amirault

I was at a beverage industry event the other day and someone brought up the possibility of establishing a chapter (?) of the US Bartenders Guild. Does anyone have any information about this organization? What's the purpose of local USBG guilds in the 21st century? I went online but wasn't sure what to make of it from that information.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Actually, I've been trying to get hold of people myself to start a local chapter. I got a few names from the treasurer of a different chapter, but the organization has proved difficult to get hold of.

Can you recommend any contact info for someone who might actually return my emails? Please feel free to PM me if you can help. I'd be in your debt.

Thanks.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

I've gotten a response from a local liquor distributor who's going to make some connections.

However, the complications of getting basic questions answered is a bit mysterious. Is this a professional association or a secret society?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The way this treasurer fellow explained it to me, the volunteer-based nature of the USBG - they all have day jobs - means that they are not always prompt about returning emails (or indeed doing anything else). He also mentioned that getting a large distributor or producer onboard (he mentioned Pernod-Ricard in his particular situation) can help to get their attention.

If you have any luck, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

Chris, have you contacted anyone involved with the Washington (State) or Oregon chapters to see what advantages they see in it? There are some fairly Internet-prominent bartenders and enthusiasts among their memberships: Keith Waldbauer, Jamie Boudreau, Paul Clarke, Robert Hess, the brothers Munat, Jeff Morgenthaler, Blair Reynolds. It wouldn't hurt to drop 'em a line with a link to this thread and ask them to add their thoughts. At least three of them are eG Society members, right?

Michael Dietsch

adashofbitters.com

We just got a chapter started here in Philly quite recently. Pernod-Ricard definitely seems to be the "sponsoring party" in many cases. They throw their money behind it so as to have a captive audience for their products. The advantages are having the power of numbers, getting to hang out with your bartending brethren, swapping ideas, organizing trips, luncheons, tastings, etc. We'll be doing a local distillery tour soon as well as hanging with the DC USBG folks for Repeal Day. Wheeeeee!

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Chris, have you contacted anyone involved with the Washington (State) or Oregon chapters to see what advantages they see in it? There are some fairly Internet-prominent bartenders and enthusiasts among their memberships: Keith Waldbauer, Jamie Boudreau, Paul Clarke, Robert Hess, the brothers Munat, Jeff Morgenthaler, Blair Reynolds. It wouldn't hurt to drop 'em a line with a link to this thread and ask them to add their thoughts. At least three of them are eG Society members, right?

As far as I know, neither the Washington State Bartenders' Guild nor the Oregon Bartenders' Guild is associated with the USBG. I believe they are both independent guilds.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I was at a beverage industry event the other day and someone brought up the possibility of establishing a chapter (?) of the US Bartenders Guild. Does anyone have any information about this organization? What's the purpose of local USBG guilds in the 21st century? I went online but wasn't sure what to make of it from that information.

To give the party line, the local chapter of the USBG provides serves pretty much the same function in the 21st Century that it may have in the 20th.

To provide education opportunities to bartenders. To provide networking opportunities. To provide advancement opportunities and references.

Some of the cooler things I have seen them do is organize benefits for bartenders who have been injured. You know, since most bartenders don't have health insurance.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

As far as I know, neither the Washington State Bartenders' Guild nor the Oregon Bartenders' Guild is associated with the USBG. I believe they are both independent guilds.

Ouch! I assumed they were state chapters of the national guild. Shows how little I really know about these things.

Michael Dietsch

adashofbitters.com

• 2 weeks later...

Head of the NY Bartenders Guild is Jonathan Pogash (find him at www.thecocktailguru.com. and wish him a happy birthday while you're at it!) The NYBG website is not great, but it's located here: http://www.kingcocktail.com/nybg.htm

From the few NYBG meetings I've attended, the purpose seems to be general networking and education. They hold monthly meetings at a local bar, with a demo by one of the liquor companies (who usually sponsors drinks for the afternoon). Some of the chapters also sponsor cocktail competitions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, Everyone.

WELL! I joined up a long time ago, but today is my first post, and it's a fitting topic.

My name is Andrew Friedman, and I am the president of the Washington State Bartender's Guild (WSBG). Also, I am the owner of Liberty, a scratch/classic cocktail bar here in Sunny Seattle.

In terms of bartender guilds and the USBGin general, this is quite a big discussion, actually.

In the 'States, there is a separation between the national USBG's 14 guilds (headed by Southern Wine & Spirits, one of the largest liquor distributors/marketers) and the few independent guilds in North America, the aforementioned Washington State Bartender's Guild (WSBG), the Oregon Bartender's Guild (OBG), Kentucky's guild (KBG), D.C. and I think Vancouver, BC). What's the difference? Well...that's where the 'big discussion' comes in.

Here in Seattle, we as a city/region thrive on our independence, so we have chosen to be an independent guild, and while the USBG folks are really good people (I know and like a number of them), we like to retain our independence for many reasons.

In terms of starting a guild, please let me know if I can be of assistance at all. We received help from the OBG, and we in tern have helped others in their interest in starting independent guilds, and I of course would love to help out if you'd like.

The difference between being independent or being under the umbrella of the USBG? Well... One good thing about being part of the USBG is that they can push sponsorships and events your way for Southern products. I've yet to hear that they will get in the way of any events that are not Southern products, but I have not seen the agreement that one must sign to be part of the USBG, and I heard stories that there are provisions there against having non-Southern products at official USBG events... Again! I have not seen this agreement myself, so someone may have just been telling a story that they were told.

Here in Seattle, we have put on I think eight or nine events in the last year, some with 150+people, the last was our Holiday Cocktail event, led by Paul Clarke, where ~60 people came by Barrioand had a number of cocktails created by Paul and learned the history of this branch of cocktaildom.

On our mailing list, we have over 250 bartenders and associates, but it's the core group of a few members here in Seattle that really make the WSBG happen. And, if you want to start a local/independent guild, you'll have to have some very dedicated individuals to make things happen - which is one of the good things about the USBG, because they just make events happen... It's not that much more difficult to make events happen on your own, but it is a bit more organization and outreach.

In any case, I hope that I gave you a bit of the story on guilds, and I have recently finished my first post of a series of posts on Guilds at my blog, Alcohology. The second will be posted in the next few days as I compile the replies from other guild member's that I have received.

Thanks for the interest, y'all!

Andrew

Liberty Bar - Scratch Drinks, Ridiculous Liquor Selection

Blog: Alcohology

• 2 weeks later...

To add a note to Andrew's post, as I travel the country I encounter USBG chapters that really work, San Francisco is one where the USBG isn't beholding to Southern as much as it is in say Chicago. Washington and Oregon are truly independent and are thriving as are those independents in the nation's capitol. Who recently put on a great Repeal Day ball without the USBG.

As one who wouldn't be part of any organization that would have me as a member, I can say that I enjoy working with both USBG and the independent bartenders. I've done tastings and seminars for USBG chapters without any interference from SWS. It is interesting to me that in NY there are bartenders on both sides of the aisle and both are respected by the brands and the larger community. Certainly in some markets the USBG has helped bartenders get some brand ambassador and special jobs but every market is different.

To me the question is how much respect Southern gets in your market.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.