• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mid City News

saturnbar

You know these guys from the Dough Bowl, Huevos, and from guest appearances at Bachanal. They were also over at the Hollygrove Market fundraiser. Their new building (and patio) on Banks is done and it looks really nice. They should be open within a week or two. Can't wait myself.

In other news, the Theo's people converted a structure on Canal at Carrollton into another outlet that is now open. Personally, I don't care for their brand of pie, especially if taken out, but they did do a really nice job on the build out, much nicer than the other MidCity venues on Carrollton, which have grown somewhat tired in their reuse.

If you do make it over to Crescent Pie, make sure to head down two blocks to the corner of S. Olympia and Banks to admire the unique and smartly renovated Caribbean style plantation house on the corner, I just love that house. Of course then you can head down to the Mid City Yacht Club for a cold one and maybe catch movie or a game.

What's up with that pizza place that opened across from Huevos in the old Shaggy's spot?

I noticed them the other day after breakfast and all I could think was, "these guys should be thinking of going in a new direction, soon."

• 3 weeks later...

To answer my own question, CP&S shows a lot of promise. I got a chance to sample a few things: the mixed grill plate (boudin blanc, "lil' smokies," lamb sausage), the panzanella, and the margherita pizza. The mixed grill was fantastic; sausage is the strength here. The pizza was also good, but I felt it was a little unevenly cooked, and underseasoned. Easy fixes. The panzanella was also good, though unspectacular.

I brought the family and we were a little underhwhelmed. Had the margerhita, and it was good not great. I think I was expecting either something more like the doughbowl or something more rustic or artisinal and it was neither. Will have to give the other options a shot, although from a family perspective, the margerhita really needs to cut it or you have to offer a decent plain cheese as well.

We also had the sausage sampler and everything was good except the lamb which was painfully dry. They only had a about 1/4 of the menu going the night we went (opening weekend). I am looking forward to trying the pork shoulder poboy. As far as the build out I would say they did a great job. Its an open kitchen with a wharehouse casual vibe all inside a raised cottage with a large wrap around porch, should be good when the weather is a little nicer. Not sure it will ever be a go to family destination, but I am not sure thats not what they are trying to do either. Can't figure out why more people aren't chasing that dollar, all I know is the ones that do sure grab a bunch of my dough. Think I will try lunch there this weekend. ch

What's up with that pizza place that opened across from Huevos in the old Shaggy's spot?

I noticed a few people made comments about Lazaro's when the paper made the CCP&S notice so I gave them a shot last night and picked up two pies. These guys definitely aren't going to win any business awards on how to run a restaurant, and the decor is really something, corrugated metal siding (left over from Shaggy's) coupled with a dose of red velour upholstery on homemade booths with tan vinyl cushions. Sort of an Adams family meets bad Metropolitan Home vibe, with a dose of Eric's basement from That 70's Show. But the real story is, the pizza is just plain fantastic. You get a huge pie, at least 18 inches, very thin crust, non rubbery cheese,and they manage to keep it crispy. Its as good or better than the dough bowl and a little better than Nino's, plus they take plastic. A cheese pie is eleven bucks. Funny thing, now that I think about it, I don't see any conflict with CCP&S, I think any increase in exposure has got to be a plus. ch