• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy a goose in the SF Bay Area?

StevenC

Any suggestions on where I could order a free-range fresh goose in the San Francisco area? In particular, do any farms in Marin/Sonoma sell geese? (A friend and I are taking a novel approach to Thanksgiving this year...)

Thanks in advance!!!

In my neck of the woods, I would check these specialty meat markets: Cafe Rouge Meat Mkt, Berkeley; Magnani Poultry, Berkeley; VerBrugge, North Oakland; Enzo's, North Oakland. A goose will be expensive at any of these places if they have it. Sonoma Market in the town of Sonoma has an excellent meat mkt. Perhaps they can link you up with a local purveyer. Yet Sun Mkt in the Oakland Chinatown, 8th St X Franklin, supplies some specialty poultry like duck, quail, and those little fryer chickens, usually fresh poultry of good quality and at reasonable prices (reasonable compared to the other markets I mentioned, anyway). I don't recall seeing goose there, but you could inquire. Yet Sun does not supply free-range poultry that I know of.

good luck on the hunt... :smile:

ETC: Ooops, Yet Sun is on 8th St in Oakland Chinatown, according to Google. My notes said something different.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

free range that above hint with the hunt might deliver faster, any park with a pond would be a good start ;-p

I know, I know, can't do that and those messy Canada geese are even protected, pooping up our nice park here in Walnut Creek.

I've seen goose frozen even at larger Safeways around the holidays, also check Asian markets like Ranch 99 etc.

Won't be free range of course.

Also check out the website for the Bay Area Meat CSA:

http://bamcsa.ning.com

Join a group local to you (I'm in the Mt Diablo group) and ask. Somebody might have a lead there. So far I've gotten Berkshire pig, half a lamb, part of a goat, two rabbits, 3 pasture raised chickens and a turkey and some beef on the way. I'd guess you'll find a lead there. Good luck!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Thanks for the tips. I think we're going to order one from Golden Gate Meat in the Ferry Building.

Canadian geese are quite an untapped source of protein... not sure if I'd want to eat one, though, any more than I'd want to eat a city pigeon. ;-)

free range that above hint with the hunt might deliver faster, any park with a pond would be a good start ;-p

I know, I know, can't do that and those messy Canada geese are even protected, pooping up our nice park here in Walnut Creek.

Oh, that nice park has a few domestic geese hanging around that someone could probably get away with abducting. Those are the mean ones anyway.

Cheryl