• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Items from Grandma's kitchen

rooftop1000

This item https://www.dartcontainer.com/web/products.nsf/pages/CoffeeServiceUS just popped into my head while thinking about holidays and parties at my grandmothers. Anyone else remember these cups or anything else you havent seen in, oh...20 years?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I remember those items mostly from office coffee service back in my corporate days.

Grandma's kitchen? That's a relative term. My grandmother's kitchen never imagined such modern day, newfangled conveniences as disposable coffee cups.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I saw those in an office not that long ago. It was a blast from the past at the time.

Don't think Granny would ever have deigned to drink from such a cup - but they were all the rage in the church kitchen as I recall.

Haven't seen those in a while, but my grandmothers wouldn't have used them either. They each did have one of those enormous 30-cup percolators that everyone of their generation seemed to have.

Things I have from my grandmothers' kitchens are a Griswold cast iron skillet, a hammered Club Aluminum dutch oven, an aluminum hand-cranked grinder that every Jewish woman of their generation had for making chopped liver, a set of dishes, some crystal stemware, a silver-plated tray, a set of silverware, a silver fish knife and fork so ornate that they would not be out of place as implements for keeping one's place when reading the torah, a recipe box from one grandmother and a few assorted recipes from the other.

This item https://www.dartcontainer.com/web/products.nsf/pages/CoffeeServiceUS just popped into my head while thinking about holidays and parties at my grandmothers. Anyone else remember these cups or anything else you havent seen in, oh...20 years?

tracey

I don't remember those from my grandmother's kitchen. My granny served coffee and hot chocolate from "Franciscan" cups.

I am, however quite familiar with those cups. I saw them not that long ago in the waiting room while getting my new tires installed.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Greetings: I've been a member of eg for a while, and went off for a loooong time, traveling. Back now, and thought I would drop by and see how this site is doing. Saw this thread and had to smile.

Neither of *my* grandmothers wouldn't have had any such thing as the OP mentioned in her kitchen. They all drank their South Indian Filter Coffee from tumbler-dabara, like so: http://blogpourri.blogspot.com/2007/02/magic-of-dabara-coffee.html. You never touched the tumbler or dabara to your lips, drank "from up", pouring the coffee into a stream straight down your gullet, from about 3 inches above your mouth, glug, glug glug goes your throat.

Still common up to my parents' generation, but a lost art in my Fourbucks swilling, early-morning hurrying, generation.

I too remember those plastic cups from community meetings in church basements rather from any home setting. As a matter of fact, I have a trace memory of my paternal grandmother drinking tea from Russian-style tea glasses ... she even owned a samovar, which fascinated me as a little squirt, but it sat on a sideboard unused; for everyday tea drinking she used Lipton tea bags.

We had those in my office many years ago - they were supplied by the coffee service that came in once a week to top up the supplies of coffee (Farmer Bros.) powdered creamer (the first one on the market and I can't recall the name) sugar packets, wood stirrers, napkins and other junk.

We had a 4-pot commercial Bunn coffee maker and went through several pots a day.

I don't know how many of the plastic cup holders we had but there were always three or four "sleeves" of the cone-shaped liners in the cabinet.

I remember them mostly from various parties where the cups were used as caps, ear caps, shoulder "pads" (we had a Trekkie who could do some amazing things with office supplies) and one of the doctors with them taped to his chest doing one of the numbers from South Pacific.

Brings back great memories.

In my kitchen and pantry there is so much stuff inherited from my grandma that I can't begin to enumerate it all, from tiny gadgets to the big electric roaster! And I have several of the large percolators that were used for coffee and other hot beverages. I grew up in a very large, extended family and my grandma needed volume.

Certainly there were never any paper cups in my grandma's kitchen. In fact there were only a few mugs, used by some of the men at breakfast, otherwise there were cups with saucers, even in the kitchen. The mugs certainly never appeared in the dining room or even outside for picnics.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here's a photo of three of my grandma's big perks - from the 1930s.

Picture 1.png

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett