• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's National Sandwich Day!

pax

"Nov. 3 is the anniversary of John Montagu's birthday. It's believed that this 18th-century English noble, better known as the fourth Earl of Sandwich, wanted to eat with one hand during a 24-hour gambling bender. So, he instructed his servants to serve him his lunch meat between two pieces of bread. To celebrate the occasion, Nov. 3 is officially "National Sandwich Day."

From Info Week

Toasted cheese with fried onions and bacon on English muffin bread. Oh my. :wub:

What's yours?

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Grilled mahi-mahi with pomegranate tartar on a toasted white roll.

101_3240.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

My favourite always takes me back to the first time someone made it for me, at a place I learnt several things about food.

Sausage(preferably rather garlicky and pesto on toasted and buttered ciabatta.

Holy cow Peter! That is a gorgeous picture and an equally gorgeous sandwich.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Got to go with the BLT, on good non-toasted wheat bread, with a slice of a big, vine-ripened tomato, so big one thick slice covers the slice of bread, with Petit Jean Meats' peppered bacon, leaf lettuce, Hellman's mayo, the full-fat variety, please, and a few slices of avocado if I happen to have it handy.

Or just the bacon and tomato and mayo on the bread.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Holy cow Peter! That is a gorgeous picture and an equally gorgeous sandwich.

It's a wonderful fish for a toasted sandwich. I never by mahi-mahi because of cost, and the fact their population is suffering. I recall catching them from a boat while vacationing in Cuba as a kid. We cooked some at sea and ate them with fruit.

I think the red dish makes the pomegranates really stand out in the photo.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 6 years later...

watching my usual Sunday morning show and this appeared on the weekly calendar.....

Hmmmmmmmmm

sausage and peppers?

sloppy joe(NOT the NJ version .... though that can be fun)?

beef on weck - Buffalo or Fredonia style?

grilled ham and cheese with spicy pickles?

pimento cheese?

cream cheese on walnut bread?

so many choices..........

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I suppose it depends on how far we're willing to stretch the definition of sandwich. I'm baking a basic plain loaf of white bread to go with the Italian sausage and peppers soup I have on the stove for dinner because that's pretty much the only kind of bread my daughter will eat. I doubled the dough and made that loaf with half. The rest, I rolled out, topped with shredded gouda, cracked black pepper and black forest ham and rolled it up. It's currently waiting it's turn in the oven. Not sure if we can call it a ham and cheese sandwich or not. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Would be hard for me to call a favorite sandwich, particularly given that I'm not a huge sandwich eater. But pimiento cheese on homemade white bread toast, with crispy bacon and tomatoes out of the garden, is real hard to beat.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

Would be hard for me to call a favorite sandwich, particularly given that I'm not a huge sandwich eater. But pimiento cheese on homemade white bread toast, with crispy bacon and tomatoes out of the garden, is real hard to beat.

DO IT !!!   not crazy about sandwiches either but sometimes........

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Never met a sandwich I didn't like!*

*Same with almost any food. :$

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

29 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Never met a sandwich I didn't like!*

*Same with almost any food. :$

gotta love ya and visit you ......Finger Lakes are a beautiful area though never known for much than Cornell chicken

just don't eat much more than 1/2 of a sandwich since it is too much,,,,,,

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites