• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Time to NYC, Lots of questions!

syrah girl

We will be coming to New York City for the first time and have reservations at Le Bernadin one night. Where else is good to dine? We love great food and a nice ambiance. One night we are going to the Lion King to a 7 performance, where is good to dine around the theater? Also, the best places for a great bagel, pastrami sandwich and New York Cheesecake. We are staying at The Plaza and will take cabs to dinner and the theater. I can't wait to visit New York! :)

pastrami sandwich and New York Cheesecake. We are staying at The Plaza and will take cabs to dinner and the theater. I can't wait to visit New York! :)

I hope NYC brings you a lot of happy and tasty memories. And may I take this exact moment in time to say GO YANKEES ! :biggrin:

We try to go at lest twice a year and are going at the end of next month.

The Carnegie Deli, 7th AV and 55th ST IMHO has the best cheesecake of any place on the planet that I have eaten cheesecake at.

What I even like better is their Cherry Cheese Strudel...Every time we go back, we always share a Corned Beef on rye, potato knish, cole slaw and for dessert a piece of plain cheesecake (They have several topping ones also) and a cherry cheese strudel, at the Carnegie.

Dress warm!

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

If you want dinner around the theatre district, I would recommend Esca - IF you like seafood and fish, because that's all they have... in general, I would recommend their crudo, appetizers and pastas... while the mains are good and well executed, I think they are not as good as the other stuff on the menu... I don't know when you're planning on being here - so I don't even know if you'd have time to make a reservation - you'd probably need about 3 weeks...

As for the other night, what type of food are you looking for? To me, one of the best things about NYC is that practically everything is available.

As a lifelong NYer, I would heartily recommend Katz's for the pastrami sandwich... to me, there is certainly none better - make sure you get it on rye with mustard (the only way to eat pastrami, IMO)...

I would be curious to hear what people had to say about Junior's for cheesecake - back in the day (when they were only in Brooklyn) people would make pilgrimages for their cheesecake... now they have a restaurant/store in manhattan - but I've never been..

Edited by KennethT (log)

We will be coming to New York City for the first time and have reservations at Le Bernardin one night. Where else is good to dine? We love great food and a nice ambiance. One night we are going to the Lion King to a 7 performance, where is good to dine around the theater? Also, the best places for a great bagel, pastrami sandwich and New York Cheesecake. We are staying at The Plaza and will take cabs to dinner and the theater. I can't wait to visit New York! :)

You'll probably get better advice if you can narrow down your choices as to cuisines, dining styles, price ranges, and so forth. Obviously with Le Bernardin on the agenda you're willing to spend top dollar for at least one meal, but that doesn't tell us much about your intentions for the other dates.

Just a quick FYI here. It was reported last week that rats were found at the Brooklyn Junior's.

I think they were only mice.

I think it makes not much difference, does it ? :wacko:

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

I think it makes not much difference, does it ? :wacko:

Only in the size of the traps used to catch them... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There is a fine dining restaurant around the 59th ST. area of Central Park, F.G. mentioned in a post awhile back, which has a excellent value for lunch, If I am recalling correctly (which is a gamble:) I am searching the forums for the name. Can anyone please post if you recall?

Perhaps you may consider a great lunch too?

FYI, if you have a little one and/or want to get into the Holiday spirit, if its on when you are there, a trip to Radio City to see the Christmas Spectacular, is very uplifting. Right across the street is THE most famous XMAS tree (or is a Chanukah bush?) in the world.

Ahhhh, all this and the YANKEES is why NYC is the greatest city in the world.

We are going to two shows this time also: Billy Elliot and South Pacific.

All this planning of our trip, as well as seeing your plans, is making me mighty homesick.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

There is a fine dining restaurant around the 59th ST. area of Central Park, F.G. mentioned in a post awhile back, which has a excellent value for lunch, If I am recalling correctly (which is a gamble:) I am searching the forums for the name. Can anyone please post if you recall?

I think in the Per Se discussion GwennP just dug up the quote by F.G. saying "Jean Georges where the dinner tasting menu is $125 -- half the price for seven eighths of the experience -- and lunch can be had for like forty buck"

Can someone confirm ? I think somewhere else F.G. went into more detail saying it was the best deal in the City at that time.

You must be referring to Jean Georges.

You must be referring to Jean Georges.

Thanks Sneak I'm sure your correct....I just checked the website and the offerings look great :biggrin:

I agree with the Katz's comment . . . and I had breakfast at Junior's once in I think Mid-town and it was fairly dissapointing.

If you want something a little different, but very good, try Michael Psilakis' Anthos in Midtown near the theater district (low 50s I think).

Also . . . if you want an Awesome "slice" as they call it . . . try this little walk up place on the West side of 10th (again in the mid 50s) called Sacco Pizza. It is a cheap favorite of mine any time I am killing time mid-day / early evening in the theater district.

I agree with 'oakapple' above, there are So Many amazing places, it is almost impossible to give you guidance without knowing what you are into or looking for . . .

Good Luck, I am Very Jealous! This time of year is a nice time to visit NYC, but dress warm, the wind can Really whip up the avenues . . .

1. DO NOT GO to One If By Land, Two If By Sea. Just don't.

2. The best steak in New York is still at Peter Luger's. If you don't feel like going to Brooklyn (although it's not very far into Brooklyn), and if you want someplace that takes credit cards (Luger's requires cash), you might prefer to go to Wolfgang's instead. Happily for you, the midtown branch of Wolfgang's is nicer than the downtown branch.

The steak at Minetta Tavern is great. But you won't be able to get in. (Give them a call and try, though. Now.)

3. You should consider going to Momofuku Ssam Bar. After all this time, I think it's STILL the most exciting restaurant in New York. But note that it's a lot less staid than most other places you've mentioned, if that's a problem for you. (I personally think Gramercy Tavern is boring. But that's very far from the consensus on this board.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

1. DO NOT GO to One If By Land, Two If By Sea. Just don't.

2. The best steak in New York is still at Peter Luger's. If you don't feel like going to Brooklyn (although it's not very far into Brooklyn), and if you want someplace that takes credit cards (Luger's requires cash), you might prefer to go to Wolfgang's instead. Happily for you, the midtown branch of Wolfgang's is nicer than the downtown branch.

The steak at Minetta Tavern is great. But you won't be able to get in. (Give them a call and try, though. Now.)

3. You should consider going to Momofuku Ssam Bar. After all this time, I think it's STILL the most exciting restaurant in New York. But note that it's a lot less staid than most other places you've mentioned, if that's a problem for you. (I personally think Gramercy Tavern is boring. But that's very far from the consensus on this board.)

I'd recommend McDonalds before I'd recommend OIBL. Seriously.

Momofuku Ssam is awesome. Go there. I do disagree with Sneak on Gramercy. I've had some truly excellent meals there, and it's been one of my favorite restaurants consistently for 10 years.

For pastrami, you need to go to Katz's.

Katz's for pastrami and atmosphere; Carnegie for corned beef, in my opinion.

I've been to the Junior's in Brooklyn a few times--kind of fun to visit, but the cheesecake is mass produced these days and tastes it. I think you can find better cheesecake at many Italian bakeries in the city, if you like Italian style cheesecake, or at the Carnegie.

Lox & bagel--best deal in the city is the Nova Special at Zabar's--lox and a schmear on a bagel with a big kalamata olive, small orange juice, and a coffee, for around $6 last I checked.

I haven't been to One if by Land, but I know I've exchanged posts occasionally with the pastry chef who frequents this board. Just sayin'.

Lox & bagel--best deal in the city is the Nova Special at Zabar's--lox and a schmear on a bagel with a big kalamata olive, small orange juice, and a coffee, for around $6 last I checked.

Wow, that IS a really good deal.

I could also add that when you're downtown at Katz's, no reason not to go to the Pickle Guys on Essex, the Doughnut Plant - which totally rocks it over Junior's - right around the corner on Grand St. and maybe even grab a gelato from Il Laboratorio on Orchard St., conveniently located right next door to the Tenement Museum.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Wow, that IS a really good deal.

I could also add that when you're downtown at Katz's, no reason not to go to the Pickle Guys on Essex, the Doughnut Plant - which totally rocks it over Junior's - right around the corner on Grand St. and maybe even grab a gelato from Il Laboratorio on Orchard St., conveniently located right next door to the Tenement Museum.

Don't forget Russ & Daughters!

I wasn't forgetting - I just thought they already had bagels at Zabar's! In that case, screw Zabars...go to Russ & Daughters for an appetizer eaten on the bench outside, Katz's for lunch (where splitting a sandwich will be plenty), Il Lab for palate cleanser, Doughnut Plant for dessert and Kossar's Bialys and Pickle Guys to take home.

If you can sneak a knish at Yonah Schimmel's in there, well, wow!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I wasn't forgetting - I just thought they already had bagels at Zabar's! In that case, screw Zabars...go to Russ & Daughters for an appetizer eaten on the bench outside, Katz's for lunch (where splitting a sandwich will be plenty), Il Lab for palate cleanser, Doughnut Plant for dessert and Kossar's Bialys and Pickle Guys to take home.

If you can sneak a knish at Yonah Schimmel's in there, well, wow!

Oy.

Makes me miss Ratners.