• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paul Revere Limited Editions vs Falk Copper Cookware

MisterZac

I want a Falk 10.5 qt Copper Casserole, but since I can not afford it, I am searching eBay for Steel Lined Paul Revere Limited Edition, Bicentennial Edition or Signature Editions of Copper Ware. Anybody using these? How thick is the copper? How BIG to they come? Would they compare favorably with Falk cookware or should I just take out a second mortgage on my house and spring for what I want?

I've found the best way to find deals on heavy copperware is to look either for shops that are closing out their tin-lined copper, or look for second-hand pieces on eBay, particularly if they need retinning, and have them retinned if needed. Usually the need for retinning will frighten most buyers off, but it's really not that difficult to have done, nor is it extraordinarily expensive, particularly given the cost of the items.

For instance, Zabar's and Bridge Kitchenware were both selling Mauviel heavy tin-lined copperware at 50% or greater markdowns compared to new stock for years, particularly on large pieces like stockpots. I bought my rondeau in the size you're considering for around $300 with lid as I recall. There's a seller on eBay ("harestew") who bought up a lot of the large pieces from Bridge before their most recent move and is selling them off piecemeal at a significant markup from what Bridge was asking, but for less than the new prices from sources like buycoppercookware.com. There are sometimes good prices on selected pieces of Mauviel copperware from metrokitchen.com

You might keep an eye out for copperware made in Brooklyn, New York. Some of this stuff is developing a cult following, so it isn't always such a bargain, but the company now known as "Hammersmith" is actually an old U.S. manufacturer of copperware for the hotel and restaurant trade. Their main contract these days, I gather, is some kind of metal fabrication for the city of New York, but they have the old molds and patterns and make copper cookware on a small scale and sell it at Brooklyn Kitchen-- http://www.thebrooklynkitchen.com/

I have what might be considered a full set of Falk. After I purchased the Falk, I threw out/gave away almost every other pan I had. There simply was no comparison. Be aware the larger pieces are heavy. I would wait and save or see if a used piece becomes available somewhere. You can get a discount but that entails a large purchase.-Dick

You want stainless lined copper. That's what Falk make, primarily. The Revere 'copper' pieces that I've handled were copper clad stainless. Basically a cosmetic application. The two aren't functionally comparable at all.

There may be other Revere lines which use the metals in functionally appropriate ratios, but companies which do so usually are not slow to point it out :smile: