• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange Blossom water & Rose water

Darienne

Right. In Andie's recipe for halvah, you need rose water...1/2 cup to be exact. I have no rose water and I also have no orange blossom water.

According to my friend, Mel, who knows these kinds of things;

I don't remember the price of the rose water, but I know it was

cheap. It isn't a huge bottle like the orange water,

but you can get everywhere.... even the pharmacy.

I take it to mean that rose water is available everywhere, and orange blossom water is not. Not in our area...near Peterborough...anyway. Peterpatch is not exotic.

Tomorrow DH and I are going from Peterborough to Etobicoke via the 401, south on the 427, exit Evans Ave, to Browns Line, to Horner.

Can anyone please tell me of a source along that route...no more than 1 km or so in from the highways or in Etobicoke...it's a guy thing...where I can find these products? Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Do you know of any middle eastern stores? While I don't have any trouble finding it, that is one place I sometimes buy it. A small bottle (maybe 2 oz) or orange blossom water at the local grocery store was almost $5. But, this store isn't cheap. The middle eastern store around the corner from me has rose water for $4 and it's about 8 oz.

These are also used in cocktails and may be found in stores with good selections of spirits for cocktails.

Not in Ontario, I'm afraid!

Darienne, I don't know of any specific stores along your route, but a lot of the major grocery store chains do carry both those products in and around Toronto. For that matter, you might try Cheese Boutique.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Thanks for the replies. The Cheese Boutique is way out of our way, but I'll keep in mind the major grocery thingy. In Peterborough, you don't find stuff like that even in the 'major' grocery stores, but in Toronto you might well.

We're stopping at a Caribbean grocery store just off the 401 on Morningside. They might have what I need, besides the two ingredients I need for a Black Rum Cake.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for the replies. The Cheese Boutique is way out of our way, but I'll keep in mind the major grocery thingy. In Peterborough, you don't find stuff like that even in the 'major' grocery stores, but in Toronto you might well.

. . . .

I'm surprised to hear this as Sobey's in Peterborough always seems better stocked and has better quality products than the ones here in the GTA! I love to shop in Sobey's in Peterborough. But perhaps they are not as well into ethnic foods as the ones around here. And the Peterborough farmers' market I can never resist. I know the food there is all over the map so I would suspect that supplies can be had somewhere in Peterborough - might take a bit of research to find them.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Maybe too late to help you, but for another time...perhaps. If you're taking the Don Valley, exit on Lawrence Ave East. On the right (south) side you'll pass a place called Arz. It's a few streets west of Warden. Anyway they'll have both orange and rose water. And everything else you can imagine Middle Easterny.