• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck hearts

tammylc

What do you like to do with duck hearts? I got 1.5 lbs from a local farmer recently, and have them stashed in my freezer. I have a multi-course tasting menu style dinner party coming up soon and want to incorporate them into a course. Any favorite recipes or techniques? The only thing I've done with them before is the "duck hearts on toast" recipe from the Nose to Tail Eating cookbook, and that was good, but I'm looking for new ideas!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

You could make pâté. I recently came into some pork liver and hearts so I made the Grosse Cochonaille in Madeleine Kamman's When French Women Cook. It turned out really well. One tip: be sure to freeze your meat grinder for an hour before using and catch the ground meat in a bowl that is nested in another bowl full of ice. Keep every thing as cold as possible so the fat doesn't separate out. I would guess that there are appropriate ducky pâté recipes in Ruhlman's Charcuterie as well.

purplechick

"No verse can give pleasure for long, nor last, that is written by

water drinkers." --Cratinus, 5th Century BCE, Athens

Have not tried this recipe, but have it bookmarked: Duck Hearts with Green Grapes. I do wonder about the texture of the hearts with such a brief cooking time. Usually, I braise for quite a while.

This may probably not fancy enough, but the other day, I made chicken hearts stewed in a simple brown mushroom gravy- diced onion, mushrooms and celery sweated, then added flour (allowed to brown), minced garlic, homemade stock, salt, pepper.... all simmered until tender. Served over rice for a great rainy day supper.

Edited by Sony (log)

Hmmm. Maybe braise and serve in musroom caps that have been roasted with a bit of butter or oo?

Seems like it would make a nice little coctail nibble, or a plated hors d'orvre (sp? sorry!)

with the reduced brasing liquid and a deglazing of the roasting pan as a sauce. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Have not tried this recipe, but have it bookmarked: Duck Hearts with Green Grapes. I do wonder about the texture of the hearts with such a brief cooking time. Usually, I braise for quite a while.

Thanks!

The short cook time is in keeping with the Duck Hearts on Toast recipe I've made before. The hearts had some texture, but were not overly firm or difficult to eat.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40