• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bulging Yogourt Container

Anna N

So I bought a container (plastic) of Liberte yogourt. It went directly from the grocery store to my 'fridge after a very short car ride. My fridge is working perfectly. Today I went to use the yogourt which has a best before date of November 1 and the container was bulging both at the top and at the bottom. The bulge was remarkable and such that the container would no longer sit upright on the counter. It's a wild blackberry flavour. I dumped the contents out of caution but I would like to know what might cause this. I buy loads of yogourt and have never experienced anything like this before. Any ideas?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I bought a container (plastic) of Liberte yogourt. It went directly from the grocery store to my 'fridge after a very short car ride. My fridge is working perfectly. Today I went to use the yogourt which has a best before date of November 1 and the container was bulging both at the top and at the bottom. The bulge was remarkable and such that the container would no longer sit upright on the counter. It's a wild blackberry flavour. I dumped the contents out of caution but I would like to know what might cause this. I buy loads of yogourt and have never experienced anything like this before. Any ideas?

No ideas - but be sure to let them know with the info from the carton. I got a lot of lovely coupons from them after I told them about a couple of moldy containers.

Thanks! Rescued the container and sent off an email to the company. Will share the response when I get it.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I would suspect there was some contamination from another bacterium (not the one which made the yogurt in the first place) which “overpowered” or “took over from” the ones in the container. I occasionally get this with OPENED (by me) large yogurt containers which I have begun to use, then put back in the cooler for future use. Then I forget it is there (or something else comes up), and the next time I look there is a slight internal pressure and very evident contamination (visually) present. Out it goes. In your case it was probably contamination at the factory since you didn’t open it first, and I assume a prankster didn’t do it, either. Could even be a botulism-type if it didn’t appear to be bad when you dumped it. Another, but far less possible scenario is that it was packed in Denver (5000 ft altutude) and you are much closer to sea level. Too bad you aren’t super-rich and able to send samples out to a lab for testing.

Ray

Was there fruit in it? I wonder if it fermented? Did you give it the sniff test?

It both smelled and looked fine - no mold, no funky smell.

My 2004 eG Blog

I would suspect there was some contamination from another bacterium (not the one which made the yogurt in the first place) which “overpowered” or “took over from” the ones in the container. I occasionally get this with OPENED (by me) large yogurt containers which I have begun to use, then put back in the cooler for future use. Then I forget it is there (or something else comes up), and the next time I look there is a slight internal pressure and very evident contamination (visually) present. Out it goes. In your case it was probably contamination at the factory since you didn’t open it first, and I assume a prankster didn’t do it, either. Could even be a botulism-type if it didn’t appear to be bad when you dumped it. Another, but far less possible scenario is that it was packed in Denver (5000 ft altutude) and you are much closer to sea level. Too bad you aren’t super-rich and able to send samples out to a lab for testing.

Ray

Not super-rich, and have an immune-compromised person in the house so wasn't prepared to take the least chance. But yes, a lab result would have been quite interesing.

My 2004 eG Blog

"Not super-rich, and have an immune-compromised person in the house so wasn't prepared to take the least chance. But yes, a lab result would have been quite interesing. "

Never, ever take a chance with things like that; any possible consequences are far too serious. I'm glad you dumped it, without even a lick to taste it. In Canada, is there any way to "easily" check to see if there were any other complaints about it? Do you have a corollary to the U.S. CDC?

Ray

"Not super-rich, and have an immune-compromised person in the house so wasn't prepared to take the least chance. But yes, a lab result would have been quite interesing. "

Never, ever take a chance with things like that; any possible consequences are far too serious. I'm glad you dumped it, without even a lick to taste it. In Canada, is there any way to "easily" check to see if there were any other complaints about it? Do you have a corollary to the U.S. CDC?

Ray

I'm pretty OCD about food safety so not much fear of tasting anything suspect. We have local/provincial and federal agencies that deal with food safety and I will check the sites to see if there have been other complaints or if a recall has been issued. Have not yet heard back from the company that markets the yogourt.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did get apologies from Liberte yogourt but no hint of an explanation of what caused the bulging container. They also sent coupons totalling $8 for more yogourt. So I am no wiser.

My 2004 eG Blog

That happened to me once. The top seemed a bit bulgy, but it smelled and looked fine. Once it touched my tongue, it promptly went in the bin. We had a few from that shopping trip that got pitched. I didn't check the expiration date, but I assume it was improper handling by the store. Bulging definitely = no good.

Ages ago, when a teenaged supermart worker, and more recently, I have seen, all too often, carts laden with frozen/refrigerated foods languishing in the grocery aisles while the worker is off somewhere taking a break. The foods do warm up, and can begin to spoil.

Ray