• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloody Mary

ThinkingBartender

Agreed, I wouldn't be able to identify any vodka in a Bloody Mary, especially because I use about half as much alcohol as any bartender or as my husband. When I'm out and looking for a cocktail I never order one, since I make them perfectly. Well, for me. Varietal BMs have never appealed to me. Once I tried adding clam juice to approximate Gabrieile Hamilton"s Mariner,  but getting used to that would make for an extended learning curve. I know lots of people use Clamato juice, but the whole concept seems strange to me.

I don't drink Bloody Marys too often, but when I do, it's Tito's vodka (my go-to for everything except a vodka martini, for which I use Chopin or Grey Goose), home-canned tomato juice (far and away above commercial, and the big reason I can tomato juice), lots of Worcestershire, some Lawry's seasoned salt (which has celery salt at a tasteable level in it) and Pickapeppa hot sauce. 

Or I get them at the racetrack in Hot Springs, and ask them to go light on the Tabasco. They go VERY well with the colossal boiled shrimp there.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Today's very late lunch was excellent alongside a Bloody Mary: grilled cheese sandwiches, using my husband's excellent bread and Oaxaca cheese, dill pickles, olives, salted thin sliced kohlrabi, and last but not least, cherry and grape tomatoes from my husband's  3rd cousin's farm in the Capay Valley just north of the Bay Area. Right now I'll do just about anything to make it simple. And I'm convinced that a Bloody Mary and just one other thing constitutes a meal. And @kayb,  bbq  Louisiana shrimp or cocktail shrimp would be perfect.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:21 PM, Katie Meadow said:

We gave up on that game before it was over. Too depressing. Celery salt sounds like a good addition. What exactly IS celery salt? Can you add celery seed and salt?

I have tried to make my own celery salt, but it was not successful. Celery seed and salt isn't the same, and when I tried to blend them in a spice grinder, it just wasn't right. If you like spicy Bloody Marys, try Old Bay in place of celery salt. It's essentially enhanced celery salt.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:00 PM, kayb said:

I don't drink Bloody Marys too often, but when I do, it's Tito's vodka (my go-to for everything except a vodka martini, for which I use Chopin or Grey Goose), home-canned tomato juice (far and away above commercial, and the big reason I can tomato juice)...

Homemade tomato juice sounds like a real upgrade. One problem I have is that even fancy / delicious brands of tomato juice typically have way too much salt. It's one reason I usually skip the celery salt. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

31 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Homemade tomato juice sounds like a real upgrade. One problem I have is that even the fancy / delicious brands of tomato juice I've found have way too much salt. It's one reason I usually skip the celery salt. 

R.W. Knudsen is the one brand I've seen that has sodium at a level I'm comfortable with.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?