• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Central, Paramus

I've been there many times. It has a great selection of most of the top brands of everything for the kitchen (except major appliances). The package food is good plus (thank you cabrales), They also carry most of the kitchen gadgets known to man, including microplanes and flexiable French bakeware. Wine, glasses, decanters, corkscrews, martini shakers,bloody mary mix, vinvacs are just a few of things for the drinkers in the group. They also have demos almost everyday. Sort of like Zabar's second floor with plenty of room to check everything out. The prices are not always the lowest, but worth the trip from anywhere in nothern NJ.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

it's totally expensive, but they have lots o good stuff. i go there all the time, if not just to walk around. check-out is quick and efficient. they have "cooking classes" with some relatively big names every now and again. if you're coming up the parkway, get off at rt 4 east, otherwise you'll totally miss it and end up in ho-ho-kus or something silly like that.

Double 0, are they consistently more expensive than other stores, or only for some items? And how much more expensive are they?

I just want to make sure it's worth the trip from anywhere close to northern NJ but not quite there :biggrin:

If price is your only criteria don't go. But if you want to see everything in one place, definately go. You'll probably buy something (or many things). I like to shop (look) at this kind of stuff, but I guess you wouldn't be here if you didn't.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Prolly cheaper than Prince. More expensive then a good "open stock" cutlery sale. What's nice is everything is in one place and it's close for us Bergen centric types. If you're a serious home cook or even have a serious interest, then IMO, it's worth the trip from most parts of NJ. Even NYC cause as I said, it's all in one spot, and it's pretty big. with beaucoups selection.

There is a nice calendar of events, featuring some pretty good local chefs(some known and some not). Also some good demos from the in-house chef: How to make pasta/ravioli etc... The ones I've seen weren't bad.

Edit: Beats the hell out of those artsy fartsy cooking stores, i.e. "Williams Sonoma"

Nick

I bought a KitchenAid at Chef Central in Paramus a few weeks ago for $150. I saw the same model at BestBuy (also in Paramus) for the same price. Take that information for whatever it's worth (probably not quite $150). I'm a pretty pathetic cook, so I really have to defer to others as to the usefulness of their selection at Chef Central.

However, right next to Chef Central are Circuit City, Borders, and Linens & Things. Also, JR Cigars (just BEFORE the shopping center with all those stores) might be a place worth checking out if you've got cigar smokers on your Christmas shopping list. Trust me, once you have to deal with the Route 17 traffic you'll understand why I'm urging you to get everything you might need from the area in one sweep!!

As for Ho-Ho-Kus, it's name is of "American Indian" origin. It's a contraction of Mehokhokus (alternatively, Mahakhokus) which means "the red cedar". There were a lot of previous names for the town: Hochaos, Choghaxes, Hoppertown, New Prospect, Undercliff, and Borough of Orvil. Personally, I like the name Ho-Ho-Kus because it's got more character than Hoppertown, but it's not atrocious like Choghaxes!

Well I'm taking the risk and going tomorrow. If nobody gets Xmas gifts I'll blame it on egullet.

Besides having Chef Central, Paramus is strip mall and mall central. Every store known to man is on that strip of rt 17. If you're coming north on 17 you might want to check out International Food Warehouse (get off at essex st go towards hackensack, its right there on the rtght). Its anoughter foodie mecca.

As for Ho-Ho-Kus, it's name is of "American Indian" origin.  It's a contraction of Mehokhokus (alternatively, Mahakhokus) which means "the red cedar".  There were a lot of previous names for the town: Hochaos, Choghaxes, Hoppertown, New Prospect, Undercliff, and Borough of Orvil.  Personally, I like the name Ho-Ho-Kus because it's got more character than Hoppertown, but it's not atrocious like Choghaxes!

Thought the idea of Tommy living in a town called the Borough of Orvil is an amusing thought, no?

If you're coming north on 17 you might want to check out International Food Warehouse (get off at essex st go towards hackensack, its right there on the rtght). Its anoughter foodie mecca.

don't get me started on this pathetic excuse for an international food warehouse. it's a joke, imho.

Prolly cheaper than Prince.  More expensive then a good "open stock" cutlery sale.  What's nice is everything is in one place and it's close for us Bergen centric types.  If you're a serious home cook or even have a serious interest, then IMO, it's worth the trip from most parts of NJ.  Even NYC cause as I said, it's all in one spot, and it's pretty big. with beaucoups selection.

There is a nice calendar of events, featuring some pretty good local chefs(some known and some not).  Also some good demos from the in-house chef: How to make pasta/ravioli etc... The ones I've seen weren't bad.

Edit: Beats the hell out of those artsy fartsy cooking stores, i.e. "Williams Sonoma"

Nick

prince is pretty competitive.

But the best deal used to be the once a year blowout at Brdge. people would line up starting at 5 in the morning. Plus if you were a food service professioinal they would give you an additional 15% off.

Chef Central, even though it is convenient, is rather overpriced if you ask me. I'd rather huff it down to the bowery and save some bucks. Hackensack Restaurant supply (for nonequipment needs) is fairly competitive.

Hackensack Restaurant supply (for nonequipment needs) is fairly competitive.

is that the place whose sign you can see from route 80? i've always been curious. what kind of stuff do they have?

as far as that "international food warehouse," i think it's completely lame. the produce is not notable, if it exists at all, there is an embarrassing lack of asain foods, and it's not all that big unless you want to buy cheap t-shirts and junk like that. and it's ugly. it's a non-entity when compared to the place in jersey city.

Hackensack Restaurant supply (for nonequipment needs) is fairly competitive.

is that the place whose sign you can see from route 80? i've always been curious. what kind of stuff do they have?

No, that's restaurant depot. Not bad, fairly competitive. Sort of the costco for the restaurant industry. (I think you need a tax id number to get in)

Haackensack restaurant supply is in Bergenfield on New Bridge Road. Worth a looksee.

Hackensack Supply is in Bergenfield on New Bridge Road, right off Washington Ave. Not much knife selection and most of the stuff is very commercially oriented, selling c-fold towels and toilet paper as well as Pots and Pans toothpicks and bamboo skewers.. Reflecting its roots as a bar supply wholesaler.

edit: but as nockerl says, worth a looksee. Especially for us food obsessed gullets.

Nick

But the best deal used to be the once a year blowout at Brdge. people would line up starting at 5 in the morning. Plus if you were a food service professioinal they would give you an additional 15% off.

If old man Bridge were still alive and found out that you posted this on a public internet board...well...He'd have your balls for a wall trophy. :laugh::biggrin::smile:

Nick

If old man Bridge were still alive and found out that you posted this on a public internet board...well...He'd have your balls for a wall trophy. :laugh::biggrin::smile:

Nick

That's for sure. He was one mean SOB but man did he know equipment.

I was in there one time and he taps me on the shoulder to introduce me to the head of Wustoff. Was the only time I ever saw Fred have a nice moment.

But for other grumpy b*stards in the equipment business just go to New York Cake and Baking on W22st for some abuse. Jeez......