• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Burgers

saturnbar

Seems the craze has hit here as well. Charcoal is the name and they will be opening adjacent to Exchange Alley on Conti St., in the place most recently occupied by Fiorella's satelite operation. (Didin't we do the gourmet burger thing in the alte 70's?) The windows are papered and they have been at it a while so I imagine they are giving the place a new look. Considering the turnover at that location, I'd say the place needed it. In other news, the Bistro at Maison de Ville reopened today. Admittedly, I didn't know that they had closed (because of a fire next door) until recently.

I am going to guess and say, price. But we'll see. With the type of devotion that Port of Call gets, it will be a diffcult proposition in this town. Assuming they do a nice renovation, get the service angle right, i.e. don't hire people with criminal records, they could get a nice lunch crowd together. People don't realize how many professionals work in the quarter, and how many from the CBD, or at Canal Place are willing to take a stroll. The old Boucherie, r.i.p., did a great lunch buisness, and they did basically three things, made fresh salads that had something other than croutons in them, had a good club, and served homemade soup every once in a while. Its just not that hard. ch

I just remembered my unfortunate trip to Dress It in the Omni Royal. What a terrible place. Their deal is "gourmet" burgers, and you get the distinct pleasure of checking off your options on little sheets of paper, which the "waiter" delivers to the kitchen so you can wait for a really long time. Then you get a jumbo mediocre burger, and also you get guilted into tipping the "waiter" who did what you could have done, but slower.

Which is to say that I hope this place is different. In a good way.

ETA: I just googled it and found this: http://www.charcoalburgerbar.com/

Related?

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)