• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

natural glazing agent for chocolate confections

Paola

Hi- Does anyone know of a natural glazing agent that can be used for making chocolate covered confections (e.g. almonds, raisins, coffee beans, etc.)? I'm not talking about confectionary glaze, as I'd like for the end result to be chocolate-only. I'd also like to stay away from shellac or any other chemical agent. Basically, I'd like to make an all-natural chocolate covered unit that is glossy, doesn't crack or shatter easily (as shellac does), and isn't sticky. I know this exists, I just haven't figured out what it is. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

hungryburro.com-- tasty healthy food from around the world

If you heat the panned product until it is plastic, then cool - you can polish without adding any product at all, It won't seal however.

Look on Centerchem's website and see if the product you want is made by them.

I have had some moderate success with a concoction of gum arabic, sugar, water, and glucose for panned items (hazlenuts, cofee beans. CAVEAT: This only seems to work with couvertures with a low fat content, ie milk couvertures and el-cheapo "chocolate" Which I can't stand to use....

thanks for all your tips. We are trying with arabica gum and have achieved a little sheen, but it's pretty dull. When compared to the product panned with shellac, there is just no comparison. Have you guys seen the Sweetriot chocolate covered nibs? They claim to be all natural and shine like crazy-- any ideas? The label simply says "glazing agent."

I've found something new to me: Zein, made from corn. now I just have to get my hands on some. Turns out that shellac IS actually a naturally product-- from some sleuthing online, it appears this is what Sweetriot uses. it's made from lac beetle excretions.