• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Dinner in Chinatown

Megan Blocker

My family and friends are descending en (sort of) masse - 10 people for Christmas dinner, and neither my brother nor I can really fit that many for dinner in either of our apartments. So, we were thinking of doing cocktails and nibbles at my place, and then heading down to Chinatown for dinner.

Can anyone recommend a place that 1) they know will be open for Christmas dinner and 2) they like?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I think the problem will be not so much what's open (most Chinese restaurants will be open), but rather that the entire neighborhood will be a mob scene with long waits.

Maybe one of the Chinatown spots that takes reservations would make it easier for such a large group.

Amazing 66, Ping's, or Red Egg, perhaps? There's also Peking Duck House but their non-Peking Duck dishes aren't special at all.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Megan, my favorite banquet restaurant in Chinatown is Cantoon Garden, on Elizabeth St. Call them now and reserve for Christmas night. I don't know for a fact they'll be open, but I'd be very much surprised if they won't be.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys! This is excellent info! As per usual, when family is involved, things are shifting in terms of the plan. I'm still hoping for Chinatown, though! Will keep you posted on the outcome.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

If you don't end up going to Chinatown, I would try to reserve at Szechuan Gourmet near Times Square. Assuming your family can tolerate spicy food, of course.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 2 weeks later...