• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom Potato Crop in Danger - Needs Help

johnnyd

I think it was the article in the NYTimes about the resurgence of heirloom potato farming that caught my eye so this hit my inBox like a ton of bricks.

I'm going on Friday if I can get everything done. If not, Saturday. Any one else up here in Maine should too.

To: permaculture-104-announce@meetup.com

Sent: Sat, October 24, 2009 6:24:01 PM

Subject: [permaculture-104] This week a local farmer needs your help

in the trenches!

At Goranson Farm in Dresden, potato blight from Alabama wrecked havoc

with their 15 acres of organic heirloom potato crops. Now, with cold weather

approaching, they are under the gun to salvage the six acres that will become next year's

seed. They are short staffed. They need potato pickers. And they need them yesterday.

As a product of years of family fun in the potato rows, I can honestly

say it is not the worst work on the farm. Picking potatoes is a great bonding

experience. (In fact it goes a lot faster if you bring a friend.) All of the Cook kid's

first boyfriends and girlfriends had to 'pass the test' in the fields at Skylandia

Organic Farm ?

bring your lovely one out to Goranson Farm this week or weekend and

see just what they're made of. Do they really love LOCAL food? Enough to pitch in?

Or is it all just a bunch of lip service because they're after your ?hmm-

homecooking?

All kidding aside, the Goransons do need help. They're even willing to

pay. So this week Crown O'Maine is using our network of customers to enlist what

I'd like to call the "1st Division of the Maine Organic Armed Forces".

Call 737-8834 to help out. Volunteer if you can. And if it seems like

Dresden is outside of your range, consider enlisting to help a farm in your area

? IT'S CRUNCH TIME.

Even if you can't get up here to help, this email shows the recent rise in community commitment to local food sources and the people who make it happen.

Their website: Goranson Farm

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com