• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bristol Dining

I've just moved positions at work which means I'm going to be travelling quite a lot to Paris and Bristol. Now being a townie I'm not sure what restaurants are like in the provinces (or if you even have them... :wink: ). Therefore if anyone has any suggestions of where is best to dine in the city centre (will be staying at the Marriott Royal normally) then it would be much appreciated. All cuisines welcome the only criteria being that it is good... The only places I have heard of are Casamia (a bit out of town I understand) and some chap who got through to the finals of one of those 'local food heroes' tv programmes (can't remember name). Anyway, any advice welcome and thank you in advance!!

Casamia isn't that far, quite a simple and inexpensive cab ride, a really worthwhile. Bells Diner is good, interesting food and a nice place (in a grungy area) and more central, I think he was on GBM as a contestant for the SW slot. The Albion Public House and Dining Room in Clifton Village is excellent for good pub food. The "Queen Square Dining Room & Bar" has a very good reputation but I never managed to secure a table as it was often booked out for private functions. The Good Food Guide regional winner for the south west was a place called "Ronnies" in the suburb of Thornbury, sorry didn't there either.

and some chap who got through to the finals of one of those 'local food heroes' tv programmes (can't remember name)

There area couple of BBC Masterchef winners in the area. James Nathan now cooks at Michales Caines very good restaurant "The Priory" in Bath (he isn't head chef), and Mat Follas has "The Wild Garlic" in Beaminster....which is a bit of a trek.

I would say Casamia, the food is fantastic. I hear there is a new opening called Flinty Red, but know nothing else, can't seem to find it when I googled either...

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Oz (should be two dots above the o but I don't know how to do that!) is an amazing place, on the Clifton Triangle. Delicious Turkish food, excellent prices and a very friendly owner. Don't be fooled by the difficult website or by how unassuming it looks outside, this place is amazing.

What's your link to that place, you seem to recommend it a lot........

^^^

Ha, no link, I just think it's a really great, underrated place. A lot of the recommendations on eGullet seem to be for the high class, more expensive places, but I think there are plenty of more modest restaurants that are absolutely fantastic. When I eat great food, I want to tell other people about it so they can eat it too.