• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hida Takayama

torakris

My husband and I have decided to to take our first (non-camping)trip in Japan and have chosen Hida Takayama. We are spending our first night in Shirakawago (in a gassho-zukuri of course)and the second night in Takayama. In Shirakawago the meals are included but decided to pass on that option in Takayama so we could decide what to eat. The problem is that now I don't know what to eat...

Any suggestions?

We are family of 5 and two of my kids eat more than an average adult so we are looking for some reasonably priced meals. :unsure:

In particular has anyone ever had kei-chan/kei-chan yaki? I had never heard of this until I started looking for restaurants in the area. It sounds like something the whole family would enjoy. This is one of the places that has it:

Kei-chan

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My husband and I went to Hida Takayama last year in October and loved it. Take lots of bags for bringing things back from the market, especially if you want to pick up a bottle or two of sake. We didn't eat at Kei-chan, but here's where we did go. The only place I remember in particular was Suzuya, for sukiyaki and hoba miso.