• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck Foie Gras in NYC

beauregard

I'm having no luck online finding NYC sources for duck foie gras and goose compote and goose fat :sad: . The junk they sell at Zabar's is cheap and sweetened (ugh!).

Where are chefs buying duck in NYC?

~ beau

Edited by beauregard (log)

I've sometimes found foie gras and goosefat at Fairway Uptown. You might try there. As I recall the foie gras comes from D'Artagnan, so any of the butchers who carry things from D'Artagnan like Ottomanelli's on Bleecker or Citarella's near Zabar's may have it or can get it. I think the goosefat I've seen at Fairway is an import--German if I recall. I usually just roast a goose occasionally to render as supply of goosefat, and then we can eat the goose.

You can get whole and half lobes of raw duck Foie Gras at Citarella... if you only need a small piece, Ottomanelli sells rougly 2 ounce slices of raw HVFG for like $5 each... it's really like $40 per pound, but the weight works out to be roughly $5 each... which I think is a great deal unless you have need for a whole lobe of foie...

Citarella also has roughly 1 pound jars of duck fat, and may have goose pate in the case with the smoked salmon. I don't know about goose fat... but you can get Ottomanelli to get a goose, and you'll have plenty of fat to render!

• 1 month later...

oddly enough, i've bought fresh duck foie gras from fresh direct. i made a lovely terrine with it, as well as some seared medallions. it was quite good. otherwise, i know that my local butchers -- los pasianos and staubitz -- also sells it (i'm in carroll gardens).