• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le pre aux clercs

pierre45

THis restaurant is across from the palais des Ducs and faces an open plaza with a fountain.ITs in an 18th century house with widely spaced tables.

WE were greeted graciousely and given a nice table by the window.

WE chose the 49 euro menu.Within a few min we had a beautifully presented amuse bouche,an iterplay of various flavors and colors.My entree was quenelle de brochet maison.A deliceous local specialty. My main was wild boar with jus au vinaigre and caramelized quince.IT was tender and very tasty.THe wine list had wonderful burgundies that were reasonable.I chose rice pudding for dessert .However it was preceded with predessert,an assortment of various goodies and the whole dinner ended with gourmandises.All through out dinner we were constantly asked whether everything was fine.The treatment was equal to a 2 to 3 star restaurant.Michelin has given 1 star to this restaurant.

This was truly an unbeleivable value.I asked Jean pierre Billoux ,the owner chef as to why ho offers such an excellent rapport qualite/prix dinners.

He said its local economy,implying that there is strong competition in Dijon.

I recalled M.F.K. Fisher's stay in Dijon and checked her connection with Le Pre aux clercs on Google and found this item:

M.F.K.—web site sponsored by Les Dames d'Escoffier International.

Fisher learned much about food and cooking from the chef at the famous Dijon restaurant Trois Faisons (Three Pheasants). The original restaurant did not survive World War II, but combined with another old establishment, Le Pre aux Clercs. Le Pre aux Clercs-Trois Faisons (13 place de la Liberation, Dijon, 03-80-38-05-05) remains one of the finest purveyors of Burgundy cuisine.

Edited by pirate (log)