• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what is this?

highchef

Better homes and Gardens has an issue out "Holiday Baking" On page 65 they have a recipe for "honey crumch chocolate pecan pie:"

Question? What the hell is '2 envelopes (1 ounce each) premelted unsweetened chocolate product?

Nestle used to make a liquid version of baking chocolate in little packs.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Is it this maybe?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nestle choco-bake. I'm having flashbacks.

Just substitute one ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate for each envelope. I use an old choco-bake brownie recipe and it is works fine (I would argue much better) with regular chocolate.

Mmmm ... chocolate product. Yum. Bringing the factory home!!!

As an aside, you look at 50's and 60's cookbooks and that is indeed what they were often trying to do, trying to bring that factory product to your home kitchen, like make your own TV dinners kind of thing.

The brownie recipe I use calls for this as well as chocolate. It adds a cocoa-y flavor. The Joy of Cooking substitute for it is cocoa powder mixed with vegetable oil - just enough to make the powder liquidy. I wouldn't sub straight chocolate, just so you don't miss the different flavors.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini