• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner @ Frontera Grill

awbrig

Here is a link showing pictures of the interior of Sugar and the kind of people you would expect to see there...

http://www.chicago-scene.com/2002photohtm/...-02-sugar-b.htm

Kinda looks like Friday-after-work at Bennigan's.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm slightly curious...why did you not go to Topolobampo instead of Frontera?

Keep in mind, I'm totally out of touch w/ the Chicago scene, but given this crowd and it's usual stomping grounds, I would think that Topolobamo would have been more fitting than Frontera...is it just because it is Bayless' flagship?

Besides, the mentioned two Bayless resturants, can anyone comment on other Mexican restaurants in the area, such as Ixcapuzalco?

Their menu looks quite good to me, but I have not seen much about them on this site, or in other 'dispassionate' reviews.

I don't know - I'm an idiot, help me out.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Frontera doesnt take reservations, Topolobampo does...the get together was kind of happen-stance since Steve was flying in just before...and although I like the ambience in Topo a little better and its less noisy... I actually prefer the rustic-ness of Frontera better...

Frontera doesnt take reservations, Topolobampo does...the get together was kind of happen-stance since Steve was flying in just before...and although I like the ambience in Topo a little better and its less noisy... I actually prefer the rustic-ness of Frontera better...

That's what I thought...so rustic and almost slum-ish...that's at least the feel I got - please correct as necessary.

Could you maybe have done as well hittin' the right Taqueria, w/ maybe even a better meal?

Again, I am not very knowledgeable and am also totally jealous of the meal you enjoyed...the pictures were absolutely splendid.

I just thought if you really wanted to be 'rustic', it was out there, and you could get rustic w/o a price tag...and if you wanted to be a little haute-er, you could have that as well...anyway, I doubt I'm making sense (apparently friends DO let friend post drunk) _ _

But does anyone in Chi-Town have an opinion on Ixcapuzalco?

There are a few things I've seen which would lean me towards that restaurant even knowing Rick's background.

I might be there some day, please help me!!!!

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

i kinda get what you mean, although "slum-ish" isnt exactly a positive adjective I would use to describe the cuisine... :smile:

Frontera is fun also because of its high energy. The place is always packed every night of the week. The salsas are great, the margaritas strong and the food solid - its also a fairly good value...

Ixcapuzalco I have heard great things about but have never been...

You borrowed my words without permission. :shock::angry::rolleyes::laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

I ate at Frontera Grill about 3 or 4 years ago. I can't remember what I had, but I do remember being disappointed, as I watched Rick on TV numerous times and the food looked so good. The best part of being there was seeing Bayless at the bar, taking a rest.

I ate at Frontera Grill about 3 or 4 years ago.  I can't remember what I had, but I do remember being disappointed, as I watched Rick on TV numerous times and the food looked so good.  The best part of being there was seeing Bayless at the bar, taking a rest.

What was dissapointing about your experience?

What dishes did you eat?

Suvir, I can't remember exactly what I ate, but am fairly confident it was standard Mexican faire. Chips and Salsa, Tacos and or Burritos. I say this because when I try a restaurant out for the first time, I stick with the basics. The reason I was disappointed was that the food was simply okay, sort of bland and not memorable. And trust me, I can remember certain dishes from 17 years ago!!

I'd still give it a second shot though....it may have been an off day, or maybe my taste buds were off...who knows. :blink: