• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Café at Brovey Lair

If any of you saw the ads for tonight's show "Restaurant in your home" you might be wondering how a restaurant in someone's home got a 6/10 in the good food guide.

Well, I don't know how many people have visited the restaurant itself, but I happened to visit around 2 1/2 years ago. My Dad had seen a review in a paper about it and it sounded interesting so we made the journey up there.

It's quite unlike any other restaurant experience I've ever had - it's run by a couple in their own home and there are only about a dozen covers in the place. It's certainly a cosy setting and you do feel like you're around someone's house for a dinner party rather than in a restaurant.

As for the food - well, it wasn't bad. My memory isn't great after 2 1/2 years but I do remember a very nice beetroot and cumin soup to start. The next two courses were both pan-asian style, I believe one was tuna and another monkfish. It was nice, but nothing amazing, and I remember the desserts being disappointing.

The hosts were very nice, but overall it seemed a bit odd, I think if you went regularly it would probably be good fun, but it was a bit of a strange experience on a first visit. It wasn't cheap either £45/head for 4 courses, although the wine was reasonable.

What I cannot understand is how it has a 6/10 rating in the good food guide. That's up there with midsummer house and I believe Sat Bains - no offence to the couple but the food simply isn't anywhere near that standard.

Anyway, I'll try and watch it tonight, should make interesting viewing. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had eaten here

• 2 weeks later...

is there a site that a list of all these restaurants in peoples homes? im intrigued as to what its like to rock up at someones house and sit in their chairs and eat their food with random people.

i saw this the other day and the food didnt look all that just good bistro like food.

Try this: http://supperclubfangroup.ning.com/main/authorization/signUp?target=%2F

It is a link from: http://marmitelover.blogspot.com/2009/08/upcoming-dates-at-underground.html

I would be really interested to read a credible review, all the stuff I read seems to be rather gushing prose from "friends and family". The media luvvies do seem to have championed the concept and in particular msmarmitelover at The Underground Restaurant and so it is difficult to sift through this to get a feel for the standard of food (or is that secondary?). I thought the backlash against her in the WoM piece about Warners stopping her Harry Potter theme for her Halloween Party was interesting.