• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy that only comes out for Halloween

TAPrice

Seasonality is not just part of the farmers market.

This weekend I picked up four bags of candy, one being a pound of miniature 100 Grand bars. I really like these. It's one of the few (ok many) mass market candies I secretly enjoy. Except I can't find these in any stores.

Are 100 Grand bars produced only during Halloween? I know they used to be widely available. What pushed them aside? And what other candies now appear just once a year?

As a bonus, here is the excellent description of the candy from Nestle's official site

100 GRAND® provides a richer, more rewarding snack experience because of its crunchy chocolate, abundance of soft, chewy caramel and inherent association with money.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I don't know if these are available this year, but a few years ago, miniature dark chocolate Reese's peanut butter cups turned up for Halloween and then disappeared.

Seasonality is not just part of the farmers market.

This weekend I picked up four bags of candy, one being a pound of miniature 100 Grand bars. I really like these. It's one of the few (ok many) mass market candies I secretly enjoy. Except I can't find these in any stores.

Are 100 Grand bars produced only during Halloween?

They are available here in NYC year-round.

This isn't candy, but -- in a lot of places (here included, I discovered last year), Boo Berry and Franken Berry cereals are only carried in October.

Charleston Chew makes little boxes of Charleston Chew "bites" that I haven't seen except in bags of Halloween candy, though maybe they make them for movie theaters or something too.

And those "Reese's pumpkins" always seem much better than regular Reese's peanut butter cups -- I don't know if it's the chocolate-to-peanut-butter ratio, or if they're fresher, or if it's just my imagination (I resist the third possibility, of course).

Mary Janes.

I never see them in the candy aisle in the stores, but there are bags of them at Halloween.

You can order them on the retro candy web sites, but my jones for them is sated for the year every Halloween.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Are 100 Grand bars produced only during Halloween?

They are available here in NYC year-round.

I wondered if distribution varied regionally. Then again, I suppose everything is available all the time in New York. It's truly a place of wonders.

I think I have bought out the stock of candy corn at my local pharmacy this year...Mmmm When it snice and fresh I can actually smell it walking through a store, kind of like driving in the spring and smelling Honeysuckle

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

For me, it's candy corn, too.

But only because I can't stand the stuff.

It's the only candy I can think of that I don't like. So at Halloween, I buy bags of it to give out to the trick-or-treaters.

I discovered long ago that I eat up anything else.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Smarties...something about the powdery, melt-on-the-tongue texture of Smarties is just perfect. The small, original size is best; the larger, "giant" Smarties don't have the same texture at all. I never eat them, except at Halloween, when they show up in big bags of mixed candy...kids don't seem to like Smarties, so I can usually cadge a few from someone else's trick-or-treat bag.

I only seem to see Pixie Stix (Sticks?) close to Halloween, unless they are at the local stop and rob in a container for individual sale.

Note: The most hated candy of moms are Nerds. Give a kid a box of Nerds, and you'll be vacuuming them up until next Halloween.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I think I have bought out the stock of candy corn at my local pharmacy this year...Mmmm When it snice and fresh I can actually smell it walking through a store, kind of like driving in the spring and smelling Honeysuckle

I agree. Fresh candy corn is excellent.

• 11 months later...

I love Reese's pumpkins (and eggs at easter and christmas trees and hearts) - they now make them at almost every holiday so a version of them is almost always in season. I do find they are more tasty than the regular reese cups.

I like the Mellowcreme pumpkins which are basically pumpkin shaped candy corn. edited to add: the texture is a bit different because they are thicker than candy corn.

Edited by toolprincess (log)

Australians don't celebrate Halloween, and many people moan to me about the 'American Thing' that's insinuating itself into Aussie culture (as an expat Canadian, I take great offense at that - we do Halloween too!).

But I figure they just don't know the joy of a halloween molasses kiss. :wub:

Edit: punctuation round-up

Edited by Snadra (log)

When I was a kid, you just put on some of your Mom's or Dad's old clothes and a generic mask, or cut eye-holes in a sheet. Treats were often homemade, such as popcorn balls, but apples were frowned upon.

My mother loved candy corn and, like some of you, swore that it tasted so much better when fresh at Halloween. I used to send her several pounds each year, until she died two years ago at age 90. Now I think about her whenever I see CC in the stores and it makes me sad.

My choices for trick or treat this year are Tootsie Pops and M&Ms--not very seasonal, just oldies but goodies. Plus individual gifts of Oreos and Cheetos, which are my littlest grandchildren's favorites.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Now I "have" to go buy another bag of candy corn and eat it in honor of Ruth's mother...that will make 3 this week

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association