• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repurposing Food & Kitchen Stuff You Usually Throw Away

Chris Amirault

She has the spices grouped by use so when she is going to be baking cookies, she hangs the organizer that holds cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc. from the cabinet knob over her prep counter. She says they are cheap enough that if they get a bit grungy, she uses them for something else.

I love this idea! I haven't seen pantyhose holders around, but I have seen shoe organizers along the same lines. Unfortunately, my kitchen cupboards are completely unusable, due to an ongoing mold problem. I may be able to hang them off the wall, however. If the pockets are opaque, it should solve the light issue.

She has the spices grouped by use so when she is going to be baking cookies, she hangs the organizer that holds cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc. from the cabinet knob over her prep counter. She says they are cheap enough that if they get a bit grungy, she uses them for something else.

I love this idea! I haven't seen pantyhose holders around, but I have seen shoe organizers along the same lines. Unfortunately, my kitchen cupboards are completely unusable, due to an ongoing mold problem. I may be able to hang them off the wall, however. If the pockets are opaque, it should solve the light issue.

I don't think the pockets are opaque but a 3 x 5 inch file card, or similar card, with the name of the spice on it, should work okay.

You might also look for hanging cosmetic organizers, although the ones I've seen have not had compartments all the same size. I have one that, when folded and fastened to go into the suitcase, looks like a tote bag but when unfolded hangs up and most of the pockets will fit a spice bottle. Some are larger and can hold three, or even four.

I got it out and checked and the larger ones will hold a can of hair spray.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Another use for broccoli/asparagus elastics: bundle apron ties and secure w/ and elastic before laundering, to prevent tangles with other clothing.

There's a non-gadget way to prevent those tangles as well, if the ties are long enough:

Taking both ties as one, fold them in half. Then tie a loose overhand knot with all four strands. This knot will hold through washing and drying, but still is easy to remove. Of course, this works for robe belts (2 strand knot) and the like as well.

• 9 months later...

Those pepper grinders from Trader Joe's (unlike McCormick's) can be taken apart and refilled with more peppercorns, or spices - whatever you'd like in a handy grinder. Now that I don't throw them away, I don't feel so guilty about buying them.

Edited by Special K (log)

I re-use empty spice bottles with shaker tops for colored sugar. We color our own, and its nice to have the useful bottles.

Did anyone mention using carboard egg cartons as seed nurseries? Cut the bits apart and plant it along with the seedling (or compost it separately).

Disposable sushi containers (flat rectangle boxes w clear lids) are nice for gift wrapping small delicate things.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I re-use empty spice bottles with shaker tops for colored sugar. We color our own, and its nice to have the useful bottles.

Did anyone mention using carboard egg cartons as seed nurseries? Cut the bits apart and plant it along with the seedling (or compost it separately).

Disposable sushi containers (flat rectangle boxes w clear lids) are nice for gift wrapping small delicate things.

Someone may have mentioned this before, if not here, in another thread.

The styrofoam and plastic egg cartons are perfect for watercolors, tempera and so on.

I save them at the request of the two church Pre & K-elementary schools down the road, as do most of my neighbors. I collect them at my house and the school sends someone to pick them up every two or three weeks. As the school also operates on a year-round basis, they are always in need of them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I read this on a Japanese household tips site and it's surprisingly effective: putting a shelled, hardboiled egg into one of those empty mesh bags onions and oranges come in, gathering the mesh around it and squeezing - gives you perfectly finely diced egg, very quickly.

I was a bit sceptical that it wouldn't just all turn to mush, but it works.

I use this most excellent jar for making salad dressing. Just the right size to have a generous amount of dressing and enough air space to emulsify it well when shaken. I must've had this for 20 years.

Jun_19_2011_6438.jpg

I use the plastic shell containers basil comes in (when I get it at the store, not the farmer's market) for transporting baked goods. They're the perfect size for a dozen cookies or half a dozen cupcakes, and since when I make pesto I go all out and make a bunch, I usually have enough containers laying around to transport whatever needs moving to someone else's house.

I have a plastic bin that I throw all the cleaned out empty glass condiment bottles in once they've been washed and labels removed. I'm giving vanilla extract for christmas this year and I'm NOT buying any bottles. The booze and beans were expensive enough!

I'm surprised that preschools are still accepting egg cartons. I worked in a preschool until about three months ago and we weren't allowed to accept egg cartons or the styrofoam trays from meat due to possible cross contamination risk. Those darn kids put everything in their mouths! I'm pretty sure that was a state licensing rule, too. Toilet paper tubes were a no go too, although that's off the topic...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I use this most excellent jar for making salad dressing. Just the right size to have a generous amount of dressing and enough air space to emulsify it well when shaken. I must've had this for 20 years.

Looks like the perfect jar to put your immersion blender right into for making a mayo type dressing.

Empty food dye squeeze bottles (the little ones w pointy caps) make excellent re-usable soy sauce containers for sack lunches.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.