• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushroom Powder

Gary

I stumbled upon mushroom powder at the store yesterday. Bought a small bag (it smells great) and took it home. Now I am wondering where to use it.

I'm thinking of adding it to a mushroom risotto. Any other clever uses come to mind?

The only time I've ever used mushroom powder i rolled some monkfish in it before cooking. I was trying to recreate I dish I had in local restaurant. The restaurant dish was spectacularly tasty, mine wasn't as good.

I've been away from eGullet for a while... and forgot how generous people are with their replies.

Now I've got to get in the kitchen and and post some photos of my results.

Mushroom powder might just become the "secret ingredient" in my house. :)

Just curious, what exactly is "mushroom powder"? Is it a powder made from dried button mushrooms only or from various types of dried mushrooms?

I have recently dried a large amount of enoki mushrooms. Dried enoki tastes great by itself. Some say it tastes like dried squid or dried shrimp. I turned some of it into powder, and sprinkled it on my "takikomi gohan" (= rice cooked with other ingredients), which I made with oyster mushroom this time. Dried enoki powder is a great taste enhancer.

• Like 1

Just curious, what exactly is "mushroom powder"? Is it a powder made from dried button mushrooms only or from various types of dried mushrooms?

It can be any type of mushroom. I scored a large batch of dried porcini mushrooms long ago, and I often grind them up into powder to sprinkle into braises. Any wet application that could use a boost of mushroomy umami is perfect for the stuff.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I second Chris' suggestion to use it for an added umami hit at the end of cooking. I use ground dried shiitake mushrooms that are kept in a container -- no need to freshly grind them each time, just keep the powder cool and dry.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

At one point I had too many morels (yeah, big problem I know). I cut them in half and dried them then ground them up. I used the resulting powder in my pasta dough and made a sauce out of the rest of the fresh mushrooms with cream and parm.

Not bat at all.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 6 years later...

Yup.   A rose by any other name… 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

ld love to find some mushroom powder.  a billion years ago, + / - Tj's has some, from dried porcini

disappeared of course.

for me. and me only, Im not so keen on someone else's Sugar and Salt.

just me.

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

ld love to find some mushroom powder.  a billion years ago, + / - Tj's has some, from dried porcini

disappeared of course.

for me. and me only, Im not so keen on someone else's Sugar and Salt.

just me.

You can buy allegedly unadulterated porcini powder and others, on Amazon. The prices are dear, however. I'm happy with my cheap Asian market "magic mushroom powder" - even if it is not pure, unadulterated dried mushrooms. 

In fact, I just added some tonight to a standard tuna noodle casserole dish. & I have to say the results were outstanding.  It was a huge hit with everyone who tasted it.

• Like 1