• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish

brescd01

My wife and I went to Fish last night. Fish is the outpost of the celebrated Little Fish chef. I have been to Little Fish several years ago and I do not remember it.

We sat at the bar, the restaurant takes reservations and we had none. We found the bar very claustrophobic and uncomfortable. Seats were uncomfortable. No television.

Service was excellent.

The food was superb. Our major complaint was that the menu design was not very informative (dishes are divided into "hot" and "cold"). The staff did not give us adequate guidance about how to order. We were complaining that there were no side dishes or starches to fill us up when we got an entree that was extremely filling, only it was not labelled as such. Some of the plates are very small and looking over the meal this is not a problem if the appetizer-size dishes and the entree-size dishes are clearly identified.

The food was the opposite of comfort food, so I cannot imagine coming here "to hang out" given that the bar was so uncomfortable. But the dishes were so good if this place does not get three bells it will be due to its physical plant. We had the fluke crudo (microscopic, bordering on offensive), octopus carpaccio (a little better), scallops (only two), escolar (filling and delicious), and oysters (wonderful). Bread was stale (a little). The flavors were superb. I think we all know there is a space between "offensively small" and "family style" where one feels happy, the fluke particularly just seemed like a slap in the face.

The bill came to $79/person with tax, tip and drinks.

I know people hold very different opinions on this subject (TV's in bars). But when I said the bar was uncomfortable, there being no TV did not contribute to my opinion. And I am not sure the bar would be uncomfortable for a drink, as opposed to a full dinner.

Haven't seen the renovation, but the Astral Plane bar, which preceded Fish, was always chatty and awkward during busy services - taking up most of the room, just a few seats, and, being the entrance to the restaurant, a jumble of people entering, checking reservations and coats, being seated and ordering drinks.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter