• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Supreme and other home options: 2009-10

weinoo

When did you buy yours? I don't have these problems at all, so I wonder if they've made a change.

I bought mine last February. Perhaps the Drs. Eades would like to replace mine with one that does not leak? I know that they read this thread.

I know that it doesn't leak, it's just condensation. The first time I used it for short ribs I left the water in it for 3 days after I'd shut it off just to make sure. Not one drop of water. But it does lose a significant amount of water onto the counter during use and I don't like that. Maybe it was just the early ones that do that? Maybe all we need is a new lid and the fix wouldn't be very expensive.

When did you buy yours? I don't have these problems at all, so I wonder if they've made a change.

I bought mine last February. Perhaps the Drs. Eades would like to replace mine with one that does not leak? I know that they read this thread.

I know that it doesn't leak, it's just condensation. The first time I used it for short ribs I left the water in it for 3 days after I'd shut it off just to make sure. Not one drop of water. But it does lose a significant amount of water onto the counter during use and I don't like that. Maybe it was just the early ones that do that? Maybe all we need is a new lid and the fix wouldn't be very expensive.

So, after reading/responding about the SVS leakage problem, since it wasn't just mine that has the problem, I decided to try again to contact Sous Vide Supreme. I had written months ago about the problem but had received no response. Apparently, in the meantime, they REALLY got their customer service together and I received a response within hours!! That is really impressive to me. I received not just an email response but I also received a telephone call. I was told that out of around 5000 units sold, they have had this problem with about a dozen units. They have fixed the problem and they are happy to replace any unit that has this trouble. Here is the content of their email to me. If you have the same problem, feel free to contact Mr. McAfee. He was entirely curteous and attentive. I give many cudos to the SVS company for this approach!

Hello again Merridith,

I reviewed the blog you attached but was unable to add a comment. If you would be so kind as to post the customerservice@sousvidesupreme.com and my number 877 787-6836 and let everyone know that if they are having any problems with their SousVide Supreme to please get a hold of me and Ill make sure there taken care of.

Thanks Merridith.

Doug McAfee

SousVide Supreme

Edited by Merridith (log)

I've got one body and one life, I'm going to take care of them.

I'm blogging as the Fabulous Food Fanatic here.

Meredith! Thank you! I tried setting the SVS on a half sheet pan once but so much water accumulates that it made me nervous--the whole running appliance sitting in a pool of water thing. The condensation makes me nervous to leave it running while I'm not home, but I sure loves me some 48 hour short ribs. Now I can make them without worrying about electrocution. I was laughing at myself just recently because I wrote a big cautionary post about botulism to a beginning canner wanting to develop their own recipes, all the while running an appliance in a pool of water. I will call them now. You rock.

Is the Addelice available in Ireland? That might be a tad cheaper. Some things can actually just get done with a pot and a stove, or even a beer cooler (Ghetto Sous)

Looks like the Addelice is sold out and as you noted it's not all that much cheaper.

Maybe I'll go the auber and rice cooker route. It just pains me though, going to look so sloppy in the kitchen. Thanks for your help. :)

don't know if it would make sense to open a separate "review only" thread about SV, this one is getting way too big to root through?

Anyway, I'm curious to hear from those that have the FreshMealsMagic (FMM) Sous Vide 18L Kit setup. I'm not a big fan of the other all in one option, I think this setup is more flexible and personally I like the "science lab" look of it all.

Are you happy with it? Would you buy it again? It's not overly expensive and I'd guess that it creates a nice even environment with the bubbler that's part of the system.

I feel like buying something, either camera gear or this thing, so let's hear from those that have it, especially the things you don't like about it, if there are any.

Thanks!

Oliver

FreshMealsMagic Sous Vide 18L kit

Pros:

• Price (less than SVM + rice cooker or SVS or SWID or IC)
  • Versatility: can be used with any pot like an immersion circulator, from the original 18L polycarbonate container to a beer cooler of any size (28L .... 100L) or even a bath tub (I tried it! See FMM in bath tub).
  • Forced circulation included
  • Uses less space in the waterbath than an IC
  • Polycarbonate container is taller than SVS or laboratory water baths, allowing even larger cuts to be placed vertically
  • "science lab" look may be liked by geeks, see picture below.

Cons:

• Bulky to stow away (IC or SWID is smaller)
  • A mess of cables, tubes, controller, air pump.
  • The junction between the cable and the mantle-tube of the probe has to be immersed in water and may leak, so sensor failures do happen, although there is a 1-year-warranty. A probe with the sensor in a 30 or 40 cm long bendable mantle-tube might obviate this problem, FMS promised they will consider this idea.
  • The air pump may be a bit noisy in a private kitchen environment, although it is said to be a very silent pump. For longtime cooking, it may be turned off as soon as the system is stable.
  • High heat loss with original polycarbonate container, but insulating the container with several layers of bubble wrap plus ping-pong-balls on the water surface will cut the heat loss down to the level of a rice cooker; alternatively use a tall beverage cooler instead of the polycarbonate container.
  • Depending on destination, eventually high shipping costs.
  • "science lab" look may be disliked by people preferring streamlined appliances.

gallery_65177_6829_23108.jpg

I have two SV-rigs, an FMM/SVM1500D and an SVM 1500B with a VEGA 9L/400W sideheater stockpot stirred by an indoor fountain pump. Mostly I use the FMM because ramping up is 15 min compared to almost 1 hour with the stockpot. While one rig is cooking 55°C/48h, I can in the meantime e.g. cook fish at 45°C in the other one. But short-time cooking can also be done with hot tap water in the kitchen sink.

Besides you should of course have a camera to post the results of your cooking and plating arts.

P.S. Using a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) with any electric equipment where you put your hands in the water is very strongly adsvised.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

So, after reading/responding about the SVS leakage problem, since it wasn't just mine that has the problem, I decided to try again to contact Sous Vide Supreme. I had written months ago about the problem but had received no response. Apparently, in the meantime, they REALLY got their customer service together and I received a response within hours!! That is really impressive to me. I received not just an email response but I also received a telephone call. I was told that out of around 5000 units sold, they have had this problem with about a dozen units. They have fixed the problem and they are happy to replace any unit that has this trouble. Here is the content of their email to me. If you have the same problem, feel free to contact Mr. McAfee. He was entirely curteous and attentive. I give many cudos to the SVS company for this approach!

Hello again Merridith,

I reviewed the blog you attached but was unable to add a comment. If you would be so kind as to post the customerservice@sousvidesupreme.com and my number 877 787-6836 and let everyone know that if they are having any problems with their SousVide Supreme to please get a hold of me and I’ll make sure there taken care of.

Thanks Merridith.

Doug McAfee

SousVide Supreme

I called Doug McAfee and he was very accomodating. He told me to take the Sous Vide Supreme back to my place of purchase (Sur La Table) and that he would replace it. That's what I did today. The lid on the new one doesn't look any different than the old one but it fits much tighter. I haven't tried it yet but it really looks like they fixed the problem. And even though I bought my first leaky one in March, it could have conceivably been sitting in stock for a couple months and been one of the really early ones. This one's great. Thanks again, Meredith.

• 4 weeks later...

The Sous Vide Supreme is now available in Australia, as of last month. Exhorbitant price, though of AUS$990, but to buy the controller/rice cooker set-up is still $310, and a small professional one is at least $2600. So, I have ordered a SVS as like some others, I like the idea of it not looking like a piece of lab equipment, and that i don't have to fiddle with anything to get it to work as it should.

Can't wait to cook my first dishes. In the meantime, continuing with the research and reading on sous vide cooking.

From what I understand, it truly is a revolution in cooking methods, so viva la revolution!

I just saw something in our local shop of the rural cooperative which would be an alternative to a rice cooker or stockpot or slow cooker for those in Europe using a PID-controller (SousVideMagic or Auber):

United Kingdom: Electric Pot for Boiling Down & Preserving

Switzerland: Weck Einkochautomat WAT 14

Germany: WECK ® Einkochautomat Modell WAT 34 - Vollkunststoff

2000W provides fast ramping up (my estimate is 25min. for 30L) and is no problem for the SVM in the 220V-world, and 58 GBP / 68 EUR is a good price!

30 Liters gives ample room for multiple bags, all placed vertically.

I did not try the Weck myself as I already have a 9L/400W stockpot and a 18L/2000W FreshMealsMagic.

Looking forward to someone reporting on her/his experience with a Weck®.

eG Ethics Signatory

I just saw something in our local shop of the rural cooperative which would be an alternative to a rice cooker or stockpot or slow cooker for those in Europe using a PID-controller ...

United Kingdom: Electric Pot for Boiling Down & Preserving

2000W provides fast ramping up (my estimate is 25min. for 30L) and is no problem for the SVM in the 220V-world, and 58 GBP / 68 EUR is a good price!

30 Liters gives ample room for multiple bags, all placed vertically.

I did not try the Weck myself as I already have a 9L/400W stockpot and a 18L/2000W FreshMealsMagic.

Looking forward to someone reporting on her/his experience with a Weck®.

Pedro - this looks VERY similar to the Lidl "jam maker" that I reported a few months ago in the general sv equipment thread -

Sadly the Lidl product link no longer works, but the Leyland Homebrew one does.

For those unaware, Lidl sell hardware on a 'weekly special' basis - "when its gone, its gone."

The Lidl price (in the UK) was about 2/3 of the price on your UK link. (And 1/4 of the Leyland price!)

Although Lidl are not big in Switzerland, they do have many branches only a few kilometres outside the borders!

I also reported its energy consumption -

I'm really unsure as to whether or not it will be offered again by Lidl in the UK. I might have been the only person to buy one from my local branch, but I have read elsewhere that home beer brewers did snap up the stocks.

Home canning is a rarity in the UK nowadays, and calling it a 'jam-maker' was a misleading bit of mistranslation.

They would have done much better selling them here as tea urns!

As the instructions warned, on first use some smoke comes from the (below-the-pot) element, which is an unusual product characteristic!

Thereafter, it has been quite simply well behaved.

The tap makes draining (for movement) easy.

The lid overlaps inside the top rim by about half an inch, returning condensation to the pot very effectively (without 'leaks'), while allowing the probe lead to enter without needing any lid-cutting.

I have not yet tried insulating it, but, uninsulated the natural convection seems to stir the pot sufficiently well that I have not been using my bubbler.

With the (supplied) plastic coated rack installed (to provide almost an inch clearance above the heated floor) there is an available working water bath depth of more than 9 inches. Which is very nice indeed.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can report I am very very pleased with the Sous Vide Supreme. It is a compact and sleek design that fits in well with the other kitchen appliances.

It is so simple to use and what a cooking method where you can leave something up to two days simmering away because you are distracted by something else! A very forgiving method.

I've done beef, pork, lamb, chicken and they have come out brilliantly. The main fine-tuning is around the flavours of spices, etc given my propensity to experiment.

The hard boiled eggs are great, even with the non-firm white.

One of the main advantages for the home cook is, I believe, the same as that for the professional kitchen: we can prepare numerous servings of a dish and have them ready to serve throughout the following week.

It has been great to simply get out a prepared lamb 'tagine' style, or Thai chicken thighs, or pulled pork and serve it with whatever, but especially sous vide veges!

I do a dozen or so eggs at a time to have them on hand to add to sandwiches, or smoked salmon and such.

For a couple of lunches, I've pre-prepared the meat and then have 'Instant' great meals to share! What more could one ask for? Takes away much of the labour on the day and the results are spectacular.

Like runwestierun, I am finding it is far more versatile than one would expect.

• 3 weeks later...

I for one am. At $299 it is a more viable solution than the FreshMeals kit in my opinion. I like the idea of one self contained unit, but at $450 I would rather either save some money with the FreshMeals or spend a bit more for the new PolySci circulator. Either of which is more versatile. However, at $299 for not a large difference in bath volume, I think this is now a home appliance for everyone.

I was one of the original set of buyers of the Sous Vide Supreme when it was first introduced. Since getting mine, I have learned so much about sous vide cooking. This summer, I also purchased a Sous Vide Professional, the PolyScience circulator. They are both great and I would give up neither. Nearly every meal I produce one and sometimes more items sous vide...and therein is why a couple choices of what to buy makes sense.

In a restaurant, they may have the luxury of having multiple sous vide baths going at various temperatures. Most of what I make goes from sous vide to table. If you only have one device in your kitchen, then you are limited to only having other dishes at that approximate temperature. Having two, I am able to prepare proteins at say 145 degrees F and in the other vegetables at 185 degrees F.

Now with a Demi as a third option at the lower price, it may free up the SVS or the SVP for longer duration cooking of ribs or brisket or the like while I can still do lesser timed items for that night's meal. I can see it making sense for someone starting and undoubtedly it will expand the universe of people trying or going further into more sous vide preparation. For someone already invested, the Demi might be a great add-on piece of equipment to the other two more expensive choices.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

If the price does matter, one might consider:

SousVideMagic 1500D (160$) plus a mantled 1000W immersion heater (36$) plus an aquarium air pump (10$), fixate the silicon tubing of the aquarium bubbler and the sensor of the SousVideMagic to the stainless steel guard of the immersion heater, and use it with any pot you have at hand. And here you are for 206$ without macgyvering. You might pimp your rig with a well insulated pot, consider a beer cooler (26$), and at a total of 232$ you are perfectly equipped.

Admittedly this is not as streamlined as a SVS, but more versatile.

eG Ethics Signatory

SousVideMagic 1500D (160$) plus a mantled 1000W immersion heater (36$) plus an aquarium air pump (10$), fixate the silicon tubing of the aquarium bubbler and the sensor of the SousVideMagic to the stainless steel guard of the immersion heater, and use it with any pot you have at hand. And here you are for 206$ without macgyvering. You might pimp your rig with a well insulated pot, consider a beer cooler (26$), and at a total of 232$ you are perfectly equipped.

Brilliant! I wasn't aware of that immersion heater...I've been using a rice cooker but am not happy with how shallow it is (I've got 5 beaver tails in it now, it's wide enough to fit them but still too shallow). I think I'm going to get that...it would be interesting to hack it all together into a single unit like the polyscience.

That was my point. Yes that is a cheaper more versatile solution, but a cumbersome one. Now for just a few dollars more, I can have a self contained rig. In a perfect world, I would have two SVPs.

The Sous Vide Supreme is a terrific machine and a great way to learn more about sous vide cooking. I have had mine since they were introduced last year. Yes, there are other machines like the Sous Vide Professional and some Rube Goldberg gadgets good hearted souls will try to convince you to build, but if you want out of the box ease and consistency then go SVS. You may wish to consider their new 'Demi' that is only a bit smaller and will take up less space on your counter (or in the pantry) when not in use. The 'Demi' will allow you to do everything you can in the full sized SVS or if you went out and bought the pro level SVP. The 'Demi' is a bit less expensive. Unless you are doing lots of sous vide products at the same time, the size should be large enough for all you wish to prepare for home scale sous vide cooking and it may work for small restaurant production.

What I wrote in the other thread is that eventually you will find the urge to have a second or third sous vide system so you can do proteins and vegetables at different temperatures so this first investment should not go to waste. One other thought is that you want to buy the best vacuum machine you can afford-chamber vacuums are best if you are serious about the pursuit of sous vide. I don't know about the vacuum machine they also sell at the Sous Vide Supreme web site, but I imagine it is a good starting point.

Your decision is about time/value of money. If you have enough for the 'Demi' or the SVS and you have not sacrificed elsewhere, then give it your full and due consideration.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

And here's the SVS "Demi." Because it's smaller, not married to Ashton Kutcher. $300, not $450, and for most home cooks more or less the same capacity; they're saying it's 60-80% the SVS.

Anyone tempted?

I think this will probably turn out to be the right mix of price, size and aesthetic for the SVS. I am really curious to see the size, because the original model was definitely too big for an NYC apartment kitchen. Like others here, I currently use an SVM for most of my sous vide applications, but I can see how the appliance-like nature of the SVS would appeal to civilians. For example, my woman would probably prefer it if it didn't look like I was cooking up meth in the kitchen when guests come over.

I wrote a little more about the Demi over here:

http://blog.medellitin.com/2010/10/sousvide-supreme-demi-quick-glance.html

~p

I click on the link, it takes me to the UK site for the SVS. Not the baby but one that sells to you US based people for $450. The price? 600 UK Pounds. That's $US962. Here in Australia the price I've been quoted is $A950.

Know what? I'd probably buy one if it was the US cost.

At over double as much: forget it.

My recently purchased sous vide magic cost me well under $A200. I have the rice cooker. For $500 I can buy a lot of quality things to cook or it's a part of the money I'll save for my future chamber vacuum sealer. Either way, I'm afraid that the Drs Eades will have to miss out on my trade.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I click on the link, it takes me to the UK site for the SVS. Not the baby but one that sells to you US based people for $450. The price? 600 UK Pounds. That's $US962. Here in Australia the price I've been quoted is $A950. ...

Hmmmm. While the link for the Demi also redirects me to the UK site, the price is listed as £499, call it $750 US).

Google did however find me a press release I could read to learn about the Demi.

For now, it seems the Demi is US-only. I think that the-rest-of-the-world might actually be more, not less price-sensitive. A cheaper model would be much better for us.

Personally, $300 (a real £200) would still seem expensive to me, but not as absurd as the SVS at £500. I'd definitely give it serious consideration ... But it ain't here, and it'll probably cost more when it gets here!

If the Demi is 9 litres capacity vs 11 litres for the SVS, calling it "Demi" (half) is underselling it! Its 20% less capacity for 40% less cost ...

I can understand the appeal of such an integrated appliance for those with severe space constraints or expensively 'styled' kitchens.

But for practicality with economy (albeit at the expense of neatness and compactness), the roll-your-own-PID approach still rules.

Though the gap is closing!

Rice cookers get expensive in 'large' sizes.

A "tea urn" (or water boiler) is a cheaper alternative. While its no use for cooking rice, it does have other uses, including canning - as well as serving gallons of hot drinks.

Used tea urns can be very cheap. One can be fussy and seek out a model without an exposed heating element.

I recently bought a 9 litre example at a car boot sale for just £3 (under US $5).

Its the same capacity as the Demi ... and takes up significantly less space than my 27 litre urn.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I click on the link, it takes me to the UK site for the SVS. Not the baby but one that sells to you US based people for $450. The price? 600 UK Pounds. That's $US962. Here in Australia the price I've been quoted is $A950. ...

Hmmmm. While the link for the Demi also redirects me to the UK site, the price is listed as £499, call it $750 US).

My mistake it was euros not pounds. Conversion is US$835. Now I feel even more ripped off with the $AU950 price tag. At current exchange rates that's $US935.

Yes, that is over double what you pay in the US.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

In the UK John Lewis now stocking the SVS for GBP349 compared to GBP499 at the SVS website. Big difference.

I have also been looking for a decent vacuum sealer & came across the La.va machines. Are these ok? Do you have another suggestion?

Thanks

Tony

In the UK John Lewis now stocking the SVS for GBP349 compared to GBP499 at the SVS website. Big difference.

I have also been looking for a decent vacuum sealer & came across the La.va machines. Are these ok? Do you have another suggestion?

Interesting !!! :cool:

Maybe I should be asking them about their plans for the Demi!

Unless you NEED a heavy-duty production machine, you might be as happy as I am with the Foodsaver V2860 that I've enthused about previously on other threads.

High-end previous year's model. Full manual control for liquids/sauces. (And auto for the easy stuff.) £108 inc next day UK delivery http://www.electricshopping.com/food-saver-v2860-vacuum-food-sealer.html There are a few other sources at around that price.