• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berried Treasure ..... ?

fresh_a

Hope someone can help... I've been racking my brain this afternoon trying to find the name of a man I read about a couple years back who is on the cutting edge of fruit science. All I remember is that he was an ex-junky and turned his obsession to finding rare fruit varietes. I think I might have read about it in the Smithsonian science magazine , and the title was something like "Berried Treasure". A quick google went to a broken link.....I'd appreciate any help!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

That might've been it- can't for the life of me find any ref.....i know he wrote for magazines, maybe did a book....

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Not that ancient...

blog

Is this what you are looking for?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not at all, but thanks anyway.

blog

That sounds like a New Yorker article about "David Karp, the 'Fruit Detective,' a sometime "provisioner" who finds rare fruits and rare varieties of common fruits for specialty stores."

You can find the article online but to read the whole thing you need a subscription.

John Seabrook, Our Far-Flung Correspondents, “The Fruit Detective,” The New Yorker, August 19, 2002, p. 70

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Thanks a million Felice, that's it!!!!

blog

Ain't you goona tell why you asked?

I think about that guy a lot.

I stayed on a ranch in Costa Rica where the guy was bringing in tropical fruits from all over the world. The orchards attracted a staggering array of exotic birds, and the star fruit there ruined star fruit for me here.

Fruit guys rule.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.