• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Additions and Sweeteners

maggiethecat

I hate sweetened coffee -- a little cream or 1 % milk is fine, but I mostly drink it black.

Not so my Italian-American husband, who can swing both ways if it's great coffee. But after a visit to our daughter's house, where she had bottles of Coffeebuddy-like stuff, he got hooked on that cream/vanilla thing. Of course he knows it's crap: faux milk, faux sugar, faux vanilla. (Corn syrup figures large.)But when it goes on sale he once bought one of those cunning bottles. .

He's a changed man. He rolls his own. When half and half goes on sale he grabs it, and dissolves some sugar and vanilla, then pours it into a tall glass jar. When he dribbles it into his coffee, he's a happy man. I love the scent of vanilla, but I just can't handle the sweet. (I do like coffee ice cream.)

Do any of you coffee fiends make your own "Coffee Condiments?" If so, do tell.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I usually like my regular coffee with a little cream but I love a maple cappuccino once in a while.

Well I did until the espresso machine died :sad:

Years ago I was at some sort of trade show and they were offering the maple cappuccino and I was hooked.

Sweeten your espresso with a little maple syrup and top the foam with a little dusting of maple sugar. The key is to not over do it on the maple or else it is just syrupy. Less is more!

A few years ago I bought one of these http://www.frothaulait.com/main.htm

and use it to mix my own flavored foam to add to coffee and also to tea to prepare coffee lattes and chai.

(I am always amused to see the ads for "chai latte" because "chai" is tea with milk and thus the ads are announcing tea milk, milk - ditto for the coffee stuff when they just use "latte" .)

I have been surprised at how long the frothed milk will remain stable in the fridge. However, I like my coffee very hot and prefer the froth hot from the unit.

The volume produced by a small amount of milk (and contrary to usual advice, it works great with half & half) is simply amazing, far greater than with other frothing techniques.

I do use this appliance all the time for sauces, small batches of lemon curd, etc., so it is not just a single use appliance like the frothers without the heating option.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett