• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dulce de Leche ganache

mostlylana

I just finished my 3rd trial of Dulce de Leche ganache.

Usually my trials consist of "oh I want more of this, less of that, I'll do this instead of that..." I might not be happy with the 1st one but I get ideas for subsequent trials. But this Dulce de Leche ganache has me completely stumped! I wasn't expecting this. I thought it would be any easy one.

So first trial consisted of 750g. milk chocolate, 650g. dulce de leche (traditional recipe with milk and a little cream made in the thermomix), and 50g. of butter. The texture was like plasticine. It was so odd. And the flavour was pretty much non-existent.

Second trial was with much less 70% chocolate. Too thin as I am looking to slab the ganache. Better flavour.

Third trial was 650g. of chocolate consisting of equal parts 70% and milk chocolates. Dulce de Leche was 750g. and butter was 125g. (I figured the low fat in the dulce de leche might be contributing to the odd plasticine texture). This one was better but STILL had the odd texture - just not as pronounced.

So I'm coming for help... Has anyone tried a dulce de leche slabbed ganache? Can it be done?! What do you think is contributing to the weird texture?

:wacko:

I am neither an expert (or even competent!) in ganache or dulce le leche, but the first thing I thought of was milk powder... it might be a good way to play with texture/firmness and will help to contribute to the milky taste as well.

And from a consumer point of view, I think if i bought a dulce le leche chocolate, I'd be expecting something that was pretty much just DLL in the center, not so much a ganache (very chocolatey). But that may not be feasible in terms of shelf life and all that stuff.

The caramel does tend to give it a plasticy texture I've found.

I use 300 g milk chocolate, 200 grams DDL, 60 grams heavy cream, 15 grams room temperature butter and vanilla.

Thanks so much everyone - very helpful. I keep hearing of the DDL and coffee combo. It makes sense! Kerry, thanks for the recipe. I was thinking of the same thing - adding some cream to soften the 'plastic'! It's weird though - I do a caramel ganache that is just fine - no plasticine texture.

I've also decided to keep the ganache soft so the plastic texture isn't as prevalent. I used the Schott's technique of freezing the slab for 1/2 hour before cutting. Worked great for cutting but was a pain to get off the acetate. Next time I'll use the Valrhona chablon bottoming technique before slabbing and freezing and then all my problems will be solved! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

my concern with ddl is that there is no glucose therefore producing crystals.

Interesting you should say that. I've decided that next time I make it I'm going to add some glucose to replace some of the sugar. Mine did crystallize somewhat but I was trying that Schott's technique of freezing the slab before cutting. It did create some condensation so I'm not sure what factor was the issue in the crystallization

• 9 years later...
On 11/4/2009 at 1:14 PM, prairiegirl said:

my concern with ddl is that there is no glucose therefore producing crystals. I have played with the greweling recipe in his book with..yes...coffee.

The thermomix recipe for ddl is awesome!

Can you share your DDL made in the Thermomix with me?  I am looking to make some DDL ganache.  Thank you.