• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"fall salad" with seafood stew

stellabella

Arugala with seared radicchio and pearl onions?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

that sounds good, Jin.  What treatment do you give the onions?

Shock to remove the skins, marinate in hot vinegar and herbs. Then caramelize in butter or duck fat.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Roast butternut squash or acorn squash. Scoop out pulp, mix with unsalted butter, light cream. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe some allspice. A little (just a little, mind you) brown sugar or date sugar. Fold in a little mascarpone if you want. Puree, and mix all ingredients thoroughly.

Shape into rounds using either buttered ramekins or a biscuit cutter.

Spoon over each squash round a spiced fruit chutney. (I vary the ingredients of the chatni from time to time. Right now, the batch in my fridge includes plums, nectarines, dried apricots, pears, dried currants, apple cider vinegar, golden sultana raisins, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, brown sugar, fresh cracked black pepper, and pomegranate syrup (sp).)

Serve IMMEDIATELY.

SA

thanks to the suggestions, here's what i ended up doing: red leaf lettuce with very thin sliced shallot--not much--pomegranite seeds, thinly sliced tart red apple [my husband bought them and forgot what kind , but i think rome], and a few toasted walnuts, with sherry vinaigrette, which my friend helped me make--he's much better at dressings than i--we used a little sherry and a little red wine vinegar for acidity, salt and pepper, pressed garlic, EVOO, a tsp of dijon, and a splash of water

the stew was very rich, and we ate the salad after--perfect

thanks