• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beaminster

Ok, So I'm off on holiday with my parents for a couple of days in Beaminster, Dorset.

I'm basically looking for good foody places to visit. I know Mat Follas' place is there, which seems to have a good write up on here. Are there any loclas on here who know of any treats not necessarily resturants, but producers, smokeries, that sort of thing.

Ben

don't know i'm afraid.

But as to mr masterchef's place, my parents went (they live in somerset) and they had an amazing meal. really good.

don't miss the place just because of lots of chatter.

but when it comes to actually answering your question: i know nothing i'm afraid.

is it true that he isn't the chef?

I will be really interested to hear your thoughts on The Wild Garlic, hopefully you can get in as it books up in advance (both lunch and dinner).

I ate lunch there back in July and was underwhelmed, I was quite intrguied by Matthew Normans review, it seemed we had been to two different restaurants. Hopefully, it has really got better, I went soon after opening, maybe too soon, and lunch seems to be a different beast from dinner.

I think Mat does cook, but he sensibly bought in a professional chef to give himself space to learn.

In the vicinity is the Mark Hix fish place in Lyme Regis, we had a great lunch there in the sumer. Simple but very well executed and a good wine list. I have tried a few "good" eating pubs as well but sadly none that lived up to the "good" part.

Any chance of you heading to Somerset for a lunch or dinner. There is a truly staggeringly good restaurant/bakery/pizzeria open in a little town called Bruton, it is called At The Chapel. Matthew Norman: 9/10.

Loved it. It is run by a woman called Catherine Butler, who used to own the Cafe Med chain in London. She runs a tight ship and has certainly succeeded in bringing a bit of Notting Hill glamour to sunny Somerset. They're very busy, and very good at what they do.

Back to Lyme Regis. Next to Lyme is a little town called Beer. Go thyere and go to the beach and rent yourself a little boat to chug about the bay in and go mackerel fishing (equipment provided). One of the most satisfying days out there is. And you can BBQ your catch when you get home. Or do an Anthony Demetre-esque tartar, which wuold be lovely.

Can't wait to tell you what I think about Wild Garlic when I have a chance to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Wild Garlic on a Monday Lunch time, as that was the only free time he had that week, so he must be doing something right.

I loved it. Must be one of the most simple and well put together lunch menus. I had the Squid and Chili, Plaice Fillets, and a Berry and Meringue "Mess." All were uncomplicated and brilliant.

I was impressed.