• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aspartame In Pickled Ginger

GlorifiedRice

I started going to Assi Plaza Asian Mkt in Lansdale, Pa specifically cause they carried Hana Brand Pickled Ginger.

Hana brand did not have Aspartame.

I had 8 jars in my fridge for years and finally finished it and needed to buy some more so imagine my shock when

I went to buy more recently and it now contains Aspartame!

UGH!

What to do, what to do!

I was able to find Roland Brand on Amazon that was made with SUGAR, and bought the 8 pack.

Im kind of annoyed at all these companies because its not mentioned on the jar front and there are people with PKU who

can get very ill if they consume aspartame. I had a school mate who died after someone tricked him into eating something

with it in it!

Can we start a petition or something?

Are there any brands besides Rolands that are pink and dont contain Aspartame?

TY

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

This is frightening for me because aspartame causes cardiac arrhythmia in me. I came very close to having a pacemaker installed twenty years ago because of the stuff.

Thanks for the warning.

I am going to pickle my own ginger, just to be on the safe side.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't think it's too hard to pickle your own, as long as you have a good source of decent ginger. It won't be that pink colour, but that doesn't affect the taste. I think Washoku has a recipe for making it; curiously enough, so does Mark Bittman in "How to Cook Everything".

I have a good source of ginger - I grow my own. Half was just harvested and is stored in tubs full of sand in a shed (no light) and the rest will remain in the ground, covered with at least a foot of packed straw and that covered with a tarp, over the winter. This has worked out well for many years. If I run out, I can always have some dug out of the ground as needed.

I have a fermentation crock that is empty at present and I think I am going to use that for pickling ginger. I have a recipe in one of my preserving/pickling books that makes several pints and I plan to can it in half-pint and 4-oz jars.

As I recall, this process allows the pink or red color to develop on its own without the need for food coloring.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yes, the recipe Bittman lists is for a quick pickle - not meant to be canned, thus it doesn't have time to develop the pink.

Do you pickle thin stems of whole ginger, or do you slice it, gari-style?

Yes, the recipe Bittman lists is for a quick pickle - not meant to be canned, thus it doesn't have time to develop the pink.

Do you pickle thin stems of whole ginger, or do you slice it, gari-style?

I sliced it very thin using my big Cuisinart and the extra-thin slicing disc because the deBuyer mandoline I now have does not produce slices quite as thin as I want.