• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modified Cornstarch

Darienne

Just talking to the owner of our local bulk food/health food store about making ice cream/gelato with a cornstarch base. He asked if I used modified cornstarch and I asked what is it? His reply was that it would thicken cold liquids and this is good.

(I heat the milk/cream when making ice cream.)

Who has used modified cornstarch and what for and why and is it good to use? Or is the 'modified' epithet something to avoid, as in just about modified any food?

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thank you,jk1002. I had found the Wikipedia article before but was in no mood to plow through it and you sent me back. I read it this time properly.

However...do you use to thicken anything? Or is it mostly used commercially in large manufacturing situations?

And what exactly is 'molten' ice cream? Do you make it? Buy it?

As one question leads to another..........

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My father was having difficulty swallowing for a while due to a neuromuscular problem and was restricted to thickened liquids while he did exercises to strengthen his swallowing reflex, and I looked up the products they used as thickeners ("Thick and Easy" was one of them), and they were pretty much all modified cornstarch. Google "dysphagia" and "thickened liquids" and you'll turn up a number of these products.

Check out National Starch's web site: http://www.foodinnovation.com/FoodInnovation/en-US/

They manufacture dozens of different types of thickeners for different types of applications (i.e., dairy, frozen foods, pie fillings, etc.) See the different industry links at the top of the site. I often use Instant Clearjel to thicken pie fillings, and this is a modified cornstarch. Customer service through the web site is excellent. Send an email with a question and they'll answer in a few hours. Free samples are also available.

Ilene

Thanks, Beanie. :smile:

Now I know more than I did in the beginning, but I don't see myself using this product in the near future. But you never know...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.