• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your worst kitchen habit?

JAZ

But my horrible habit comes in when I'm prepping vegetables or fruit. I just shove the trimmings, cores, and peels off the back or sides of the cutting board. I'll peel carrots or potatoes right on the counter. During a big cooking session, or making a salad, it looks like I'm working in the center of a compost heap. I clean it all up very well, after, but when I'm on a tear, I just shove stuff around.

See - I got thinking about this and it made sense (mostly!) so I put two layers of newspaper on the counter with cutting board on top and shoved everything unwanted off the edge. At the end just rolled up the newspaper and it all went into the compostable garbage container! Now it seems like a GOOD habit!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

But my horrible habit comes in when I'm prepping vegetables or fruit. I just shove the trimmings, cores, and peels off the back or sides of the cutting board. I'll peel carrots or potatoes right on the counter. During a big cooking session, or making a salad, it looks like I'm working in the center of a compost heap. I clean it all up very well, after, but when I'm on a tear, I just shove stuff around.

See - I got thinking about this and it made sense (mostly!) so I put two layers of newspaper on the counter with cutting board on top and shoved everything unwanted off the edge. At the end just rolled up the newspaper and it all went into the compostable garbage container! Now it seems like a GOOD habit!

Oooh! Way to turn it around...I'll try that tomorrow.

Hi,

I was criticized for admitting that I recycled used chicken bones for chicken stock. The pathogen police were offended that some family member had actually chewed on those bones. I answered their justifiable concern by taking the time to sanitize the bones in fresh water carefully heated to the boiling point and held at that temperature for a number of hours before use.

The P.P. still don't want to eat at my house.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

Hi,

I was criticized for admitting that I recycled used chicken bones for chicken stock. The pathogen police were offended that some family member had actually chewed on those bones. I answered their justifiable concern by taking the time to sanitize the bones in fresh water carefully heated to the boiling point and held at that temperature for a number of hours before use.

The P.P. still don't want to eat at my house.

Tim

These 'family members', were they of the 2 legged variety, or the 4 legged? :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm another person that has cleanup issues. It can be pretty bad, with drity pots and pans and knives and what not piling up. Yes, I have a diswasher, but there are still plenty of things that don't go in it. And even with the diswasher, I can "forget" to run it, thinking "I can cram in one more thing tomorrow morning ot later today". And then "forget" to empty it prompty. When I DO wash stuff by hand, I can "forget" to remove it from the drying rack and put it away. Seriously, I probably fetch half the things I need to cook and bake from the drying rack or the dishwasher.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

When I DO wash stuff by hand, I can "forget" to remove it from the drying rack and put it away. Seriously, I probably fetch half the things I need to cook and bake from the drying rack or the dishwasher.

Heh. All the dishes in my kitchen are currently clean, yet I have a huuuuuuge pile of dishes sitting next to the sink waiting to be put away. Looks like I haven't washed any dishes for weeks. So I'm always digging through the clean pile looking for what I need.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

"See - I got thinking about this and it made sense (mostly!) so I put two layers of newspaper on the counter with cutting board on top and shoved everything unwanted off the edge. At the end just rolled up the newspaper and it all went into the compostable garbage container! Now it seems like a GOOD habit!"

Holy Moly, it's a GREAT idea! I have a very small kitchen; too many newspapers; voila! I'll try it this weekend!

I'm another person that has cleanup issues. It can be pretty bad, with drity pots and pans and knives and what not piling up. Yes, I have a diswasher, but there are still plenty of things that don't go in it. And even with the diswasher, I can "forget" to run it, thinking "I can cram in one more thing tomorrow morning ot later today". And then "forget" to empty it prompty. When I DO wash stuff by hand, I can "forget" to remove it from the drying rack and put it away. Seriously, I probably fetch half the things I need to cook and bake from the drying rack or the dishwasher.

I do this, mostly because I love to cook, but hate to clean. Top that off with the fact I cannot stand the noice my current dishwasher makes, I wait until it becomes a have to most of the time. :wink:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

"See - I got thinking about this and it made sense (mostly!) so I put two layers of newspaper on the counter with cutting board on top and shoved everything unwanted off the edge. At the end just rolled up the newspaper and it all went into the compostable garbage container! Now it seems like a GOOD habit!"

I can still picture my Dad sitting at the old formica table which was covered with newspapers, cutting up apples so my Mother could make pies....or applesauce. He loved her apple pies. There was even a special beat up aluminum pan used for the good parts. He often did that sort of prep work for her, sorting blueberries, hacking squash etc. at the same spot. Newspapers even then were handy for messy tasks, though I don't think they composted.

Thanks for the memory.

As for bad habits, Messy, messy, with stuff stacked up as I work. Then stacked in drainer, glad I'm not the only one.

I read where one person has a lot of measuring spoons, cups and bowls and such and they use them all when cooking and they dont wash any of them until they are finished. I took that concept a few steps further. I actually bought enough of the basic cooking tools to basically have 3 sets. My wife cooks like a tornado, I clean very slowly. I cook slowly too. But my concept is.. wife cooks with one set of things... that set goes in the dishwasher and starts washing. Wife cooks with the 2nd set, it goes into the sink, awaiting the first to finish. If wife is not yet out of steam, she then moves on to the third set, the first set comes out dry, the second set goes in and starts washing.

Usually by this time she needs a break but by the time she recovers, she has a nice clean kitchen and at least 2 sets of tools to work with.

The supply of fresh produce in the shops here is unreliable at best so when I see nice vegetables I buy them. A lot of them. And then, because I've bought way more than 3 people can eat, half of it rots in the fridge. Such a waste but I can't seem to stop myself.

I too abuse my non-stick pans. And I've never cleaned an oven.

In our "outside" kitchen, I never clean the grill right after I use it. I wait until the next time I want to use it, at which point I find remnants of whatever was last grilled stuck to the grate. So I have to spend half an hour cleaning it before I can use it. It would be so much easier to clean it right after it's used instead of letting the bbq sauce dry out and become one with the grate.

There's an easy fix for that. Leave the grill dirty. Wait until the next grilling event. Light the fire, put the grate back on, walk away. Come back 10 minutes later with your steel brush and clean in in about 15 seconds.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have no bad habits in the kitchen, I am an angel. :laugh:

On the other hand, my husband, born of Depression-era parents, puts every single teeny tiny leftover in it's own special little container and packs my fridge with them. Makes me crazy. ITS OK TO THROW OUT THE TWO REMAINING PEAS.

some angel! It may dull your knives but only if they rub against other things (not that big of a deal) But what about your husband?! That could cause a nasty cut!

:huh: I am befuddled. I take care of my knives, and I have never used one on my husband.
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

:huh: I am befuddled. I take care of my knives, and I have never used one on my husband.

LOL!!!!

Good for you, for that would certainly dull them!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.