• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who's on top in Toronto?

AceBoy

Greetings.

After ten years working abroad my wife and I had decided to return to Toronto to settle down.

My only problem is that I haven't worked in Toronto in a decade, and have no freakin' idea who's in, out, hot, not, open, closed, and so on and so forth.

I'm a european trained chef and currently hold the rank of Exec. Chef at the hotel I'm employed at now. We will be re-locating in Februray and any input would be exceptionally helpful. I basically want to know who's worth my time, and who to avoid completely.

Cheers!

Welcome AceBoy. There's all sorts of stuff happening in Toronto right now. Paul Bohmer is finally opening his own place, Claudio Aprile is also opening a new one. Jamie Kennedy sold his signature wine bar, and Michael Stadtlander is still up at the farm. What exactly are you looking for, to continue work in a hotel environment or a restaurant venue???

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Thanks for the welocme.

I'm definitly staying out of hotels for awhile. And NO UNIONS. Not going through that again.

I'm looking for a restaurant position at either Sous, Exec. Sous or Chef de Cuisine. I'm classicaly French & Italian trained, but can pretty much cook anything. Would like to stick with my strengths, however.

Boehmer and Aprile's places sound interesting. What are these guys like to work for?