• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I recently purchased some Tikka Sev

Kerouac1964

Hi !

I've been trying to gradually broaden my food knowledge, and I have recently purchased a bag of spicy Tikka Sev. It is quite good plain as a snack food, and I can see it as a cracker addition to soups and stews.

Are there any other applications for it? Perhaps crushing for a breading?

I am also at the point of wanting to try cooking some simple Indian recipes. I primarily use a steamer for my cooking. Are there any Indian dishes that would be well suited to steaming as the cooking method?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

I am guessing Tikka is a way of saying Teekha.. several Indian snack food packages have incorrect spellings. Teekha means spicy.

Sev are chickpea based noodle like snacks. They are eaten by themselves or even sprinkled as a garnish in many street food recipes. They also are served on certain dishes where you sprinkle them at the end to give a crunchy bite to the dish.

Yes. Chick Peas are the main ingredient. They just list spices for the spices. Very hot, must be curry powder in there :biggrin:

I like a snack with heat :laugh:

BTW - I enjoy your thoughtful, in-depth posting on Indian cuisine. Your knowledge is vast, and you are very generous with your time. Your forum will definitely be high on my reference list when I need help with my explorations!

I'm considering a more vegetarian laden diet, for health reasons. I believe Indian cuisine will have some solutions regarding this new-found quest that I am embarking on.

Best Regards,

Yes.  Chick Peas are the main ingredient.  They just list spices for the spices.  Very hot, must be curry powder in there :biggrin:

I like a snack with heat  :laugh:

BTW - I enjoy your thoughtful, in-depth posting on Indian cuisine.  Your knowledge is vast, and you are very generous with your time.  Your forum will definitely be high on my reference list when I need help with my explorations!

I'm considering a more vegetarian laden diet, for health reasons.  I believe Indian cuisine will have some solutions regarding this new-found quest that I am embarking on.

Best Regards,

Mike,

If vegetarian food is your focus, Indian food shall do you proud.

Do not hesitate to ask us in this forum any questions you may have. A very large group of very generous and very helpful members frequent it and between all of them and me, we shall be happy to help you enjoy your new journey into the world of vegetarian food.

I doubt it that they use curry powder in the Sev package... But certainly they have many of the same spices that are added to curry powder mixes. :wink:

Thanks for your very kind words. I enjoy learning from members such as yourself that are kind enough to share their experiences.... It makes food both a tasty and meaningful treat. :smile:

I am vegetarian by birth, and for the first 25 years of my life ate nothing but veggies... And even today, I am 99.5 % vegetarian. It would be a pleasure for me to share with you what I know of vegetarian diets and Indian food. So please feel free to ask anything you may want to... The worst that can happen would be a no response from me but a cry for help from others.... If you are up for that.. I am.... Always fun to enjoy learning with someone else...

I learn something new every day that I spend time on eGullet. It is really a great community to be part of. :smile:

Suvirs posts are both knowledgable, insightful and friendly - I agree.  The opposite of my posts, people might say :shock:

Thanks! I should accept the compliment quickly. Before the tide changes. :unsure:

You are being very kind...... I have enjoyed your posts when they are about food and food related thoughts.... But that is true about all our posts.. Mine included. :smile:

Food is what we are here for.. and food brings us all together.. It is that magic that food has....

Excerpt from my cookbooks Vegetable chapter..

"If legumes are the backbone of Indian cuisine, then vegetables are its heart. Over 50 percent of Indian households are vegetarian for religious or cultural reasons, and some by economic necessity. Even non-vegetarian households eat far more vegetables than meat, which they may eat only three to four times a week. It’s not surprising that the art of cooking vegetables has reached its zenith in Indian culture and I think that India has some of the best vegetarian cuisine in the world. So this chapter makes up about one quarter of the book’s recipes."